commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Nick4219
Forum Index » Profile for Nick4219 » Messages posted by Nick4219
Thanks Pete.

There is also a short posting to SASRM in November 51 to December 51 and I can?t find what this is from a google search. I?m guessing it may be Small Arms School RM?

Thanks

Nick
Hi Pete,

Thanks for that.

Fred is on the left in the picture with the helmets and rifles.

Fred is the one in uniform on the left with the other swimmers

The Hong Kong photos, Cheung Chau he is on the right and the seared one on the rock he is seated on the right.

Hope that helps.

Nick
Hello All,

I'm attempting to research my Grandfather above and his time with the Royal Marines. I have his service record, however, I would like some assistance in deciphering it as well as putting him to certain places. I believe he joined as a National serviceman but ended up doing a bit more.

From what I can see he attended ITCRM Lymptsone 25/9/47 to 20/11/47 and then was at the Cdo Sch R.M 21/11/47 until 12/12/47. It looks like he was then posted to Cdo Hdq Coy 13/12/47 to 12/1/48. He was then posted to 3 Cdo Bde (45 Cdo) 13/1/48 to 19/11/50.

I have photos of him in Hong Kong on Stanley Beach, Chung-Chow (Cheung Chau), Tia - O island. There is also pictures of him and the photo says he was part of X Troops swimming team. There is also a couple of photos of his friend at Suez 1949 as well as some photos of St Patricks Barracks, Malta and also a city scape described as Benghazi April 26th. There is also a blurry photo of someone tiptoeing across a fallen tree in a jungle but not sure if this is him or one of his mates.

He was awarded the Naval General Service Medal and has the clasps for Palestine and Malaya which the record say he received on either 28/2/53 and the 28/8/54.

I remember he had a fierce looking scar across his nose which I think was as a result of an action in Malaya, however, he never spoke of this, this was just what my Nan used to tell me. It appears from my research that 45 Commando were in Malaya between 1950-52 so he must have been there quite early. His eldest daughter (My Aunt) says that she remembers him telling her that he had problem with his eyes for a while and they wanted to discharge him, however he did not want to leave so this may explain the service timeline below?

His service record shows that he was on passage from the 20/11/50 to 19/12/50 and back to RMB Plymouth until 13/3/1951. He was then at RMB Deal 14/3/51 - 20/5/51 then Commando School again 21/5/51 - 24/1/52. He was then at RMB Eastney again 25/1/52 to 26/6/52 and I believe he did a chefs course 27/6/52 to 12/10/52. Then Gunnery school RM (Eastney) 13/10/52 - 8/12/52. Then Indefatigable 9/12/52 - 20/8/54. RMB Eastney 21/8/54 to 24/9/54 and then in to the RFR for 5 years.

Sorry its a bit wordy but I can't seem to attach the photos I have of him for people to see. It looks like the medals have been lost over the years so my overall aim is to order replacements for display purposes. I would also appreciate if anyone can throw some light on Palestine, Libya and Malaya and if there is anything like the war diaries in the RM archives that can be searched.

Thanks

Nick

Forum Index » Profile for Nick4219 » Messages posted by Nick4219
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger