commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: keith Lewis
Forum Index » Profile for keith Lewis » Messages posted by keith Lewis
More Records
Dear Craig,
We really appreciate your help ,
I was surprised by the Driving / Mechanic training , I Know Stan had to carry a (Bren?) Heavy Machine Gun In Burma , He also Guarded A Landing Craft in Hong Kong delivering Supplies to outlying US? and Allied Bases.

The next 4 Scans roughly follow the script of "44RM Commando Achnacarry to the Arakan" written by Tony Mackenzie (Great Guide)
We also think there is a reference to Louis Mountbatten visiting 44 and Stan talked of being his personal Body Guard for a short time (unsubstantiated)

We also know that Stans signature was on one of the flags on display in the Commando Museum (more research needed) Possible Hill top Battle , Quoted Massive piles of Jap bodies and Unrelenting machine gun fire.

Once again thanks for your help in the "TLA" abbreviations.
Dear Craig,
In forgot to mention:-
I Have noticed a few references to X list , I believe that Like lots of Soldiers in the far east Stan contracted Malaria, and after the War he suffered also with Malaria. He had at least two long episodes in Siam India and Hong Kong with field hospital visits .

Kind Regards
Keith

Hi Craig,
I have scanned the first three pages , help in de-syphering would be appreciated , It looks as though Stan joined 44 in India just before they left to travel to Burma for Operation Screwdriver.
His Journey to India looks like this,Researching Troop Ship Movements Either of these ships fits the bill :-
On 6 November 1941 RMS Maloja was returned to P&O and was converted to troopship duty.
Described by one passenger, as "very crowded" (with troops) she sailed from Liverpool on 14th Jan 1943 for Bombay,
but heading first for Greenock on the Firth of Clyde (arriving 15th Jan) to join the rest of the convoy KMF28, To Port Said 30 Jan 1944,
Suez 31 Jan 1944, then Aden, Convoy AB29A 5th Feb 1944, arriving Bombay 13th Feb AM.
1939 the Admiralty requisitioned RMS Otranto and had her converted into a troop ship. In 1942 she was modified to carry landing craft as a Landing ship, infantry. She took part in the invasion of French North Africa later that year and the landings in Sicily and Salerno in 1943.
She was subsequently reconverted back into a troop transport and served as such until released from government service in 1948.
She also Departed Clyde on Convoy KMF28 and AB29A arriving Bombay 13th Feb AM .

I notice that around 40 marines joined 44 just before they left Kedgaon

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Kind Regards Keith
Hi Craig,
I have scanned the first three pages , help in de-syphering would be appreciated , It looks as though Stan joined 44 in India just before they left to travel to Burma for Operation Screwdriver.
His Journey to India looks like this,Researching Troop Ship Movements Either of these ships fits the bill :-
On 6 November 1941 RMS Maloja was returned to P&O and was converted to troopship duty.
Described by one passenger, as "very crowded" (with troops) she sailed from Liverpool on 14th Jan 1943 for Bombay,
but heading first for Greenock on the Firth of Clyde (arriving 15th Jan) to join the rest of the convoy KMF28, To Port Said 30 Jan 1944,
Suez 31 Jan 1944, then Aden, Convoy AB29A 5th Feb 1944, arriving Bombay 13th Feb AM.
1939 the Admiralty requisitioned RMS Otranto and had her converted into a troop ship. In 1942 she was modified to carry landing craft as a Landing ship, infantry. She took part in the invasion of French North Africa later that year and the landings in Sicily and Salerno in 1943.
She was subsequently reconverted back into a troop transport and served as such until released from government service in 1948.
She also Departed Clyde on Convoy KMF28 and AB29A arriving Bombay 13th Feb AM .

I notice that around 40 marines joined 44 just before they left Kedgaon

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Kind Regards Keith
More questions than answers,

I am researching my farther in law's (Stan Bruton) Service records

Stan seems to have Enlisted in October 1942 at Lympstone in the ITC Infantry Training

In December he transferred to Fort Cumberland for "Technical Training " What type of Training was delivered Here ??

Later he joined the Provost Company is this the Military Police ??

Then to 3 Special Services Brigade I can't find any info on this Brigade ??

then to 22TYBN not sure what the abbreviation is ??
Also RNVMB ?? CMQ ???

Stan seems to have disembarked HMT D13 in Bombay 14-02-44 to 44 CDO then on to Ceylon in September 44

I would appreciate any comments on the above , including Abbreviations ?

I have read Tony Mackenzie's Diary and Stan seems to have made a similar Journey to Burma, india,
burma,India, Ceylon, Hong kong and Home in 1946.

Thanks in anticipation
Keith Lewis
Hi

Stans Photo in Uniform ,
Hi ,

Additional Photo of Stan ,No details available

Pete, Would it be possible to add Stan to the Nominal Roll of RM 44 D troop ? I have attached the cover of his Certificate of Service as proof ( it states "44RM Commando" under the Employment section) his rank 20 may 44 was CPL

Also we have a distant memory of the Bruton family visiting Portsmouth and visiting a Museum and seeing a Folded Flag on display. The Flag had Stans signature on, as D troop were on Hill 170 could this be Possible? Was it common to sign flags as a troop momento ?

Once again thanks for helping ,Kind Regards Keith
Photos of Stanley Bruton Location unknown
Group Shot Staley seated , with Digger and Vic ? Location unknown
Hi
Please find attached Photo of 44th RMC Troop D + Alsatian Dog

Red stamp to rear Not for publication suitable for Posting

India or Burma ??

Hi,
Yes Captain A V Macan is a correct translation for the letter of recommendation , and the letter states that A V M had known Stan for about 2 years .... i.e. from 1944.

Thanks

Also more Anecdotal Information suggests that at least two Royal Marine Commandos " unofficially commandeered a Tramcar whilst in Hong Kong "
The said Tramcar was being pursued by an irate Tram Driver (wielding a machete ) who late found his Vehicle derailed at the end of a Pier. Luckily no Royals were injured in action.
I endured this story many times after pub closing times...........

Keith
Hi, Thanks for the prompt reply, And the help and advice.

As advised I am Attaching a Photo of the Efficiency table from the Certificate of Service, with the Commandant or Captain' signatures + the Recommendation Letter Signature.

I have obtained a copy of Tony Mackenzies's book 44 RMC which should help with the Timeline and add context.

I have also applied for the full service record from the RN/RM

From the Recommendation Letter Stan ended his service in C Troop.

Once again than you for your help

Kind Regards
Keith
I am Just starting out researching my Farther-in-Law's Service History - His Service Certificate , Letter of Recommendation, and Medals show the following Information

The late Stanley(Stan) Bruton Born 25-10-1920 in Rotherham. His Division Reg. Number was PO/X 116131 ( in pencil on the top of the S-1241 44 CDO 77375 ??)

First entry into Service 20-10-1942, Volunteer at RM Lympstone, co. D Rank (looks like wine ??) 20-10- 42 to 7-12-42. (Induction ??)
H.B.L. R.M. Division 8-12-42 to 6-11-43 ( more UK Training??)
hbl RM Commando 7-11-43 to 12 -4-46 ( 44th Commando Burma ?? Hong Kong ??)
Ports Dvis 13-4-46 to 21-7-46 Released Class A ?

Employment 28-6-43 to 6-11-43 Provost Duties RM Division ??
7-11-43 to 11-4-44 44th R.M. Commando
Rank Lance Corporal Co. C 28 -06- 43 Corporal 20-5-44

Assessments Dec 42 Commandants Signature (looks like M Phillips ) poor signature
Dec 43 ( looks Like EEE Sildey)
Dec 44 (R.G. Hanis )
Dec 45 ( G.R. Wingmath)
July 46 ( J.H. Coolag-Wd???)
Letter of Recommendation Signed by (A V Uracan) Cpt. R.M. O.C. 'C' Tp. 44 R.M. Commando

Stan's Medals are a round silver medal with a lion 1939-45 with a red white and Blue Ribbon, A Burma Star with Gold Red and Blue Ribbon and a 39-45 Star with a light blue dark Blue and red ribbon, On the cardboard box are the following numbers 3488/85 Bruton S Commando 44 Division.

Anecdotal Information suggests that Stan had some connection with Lord Mountbatten's bodyguard unit,
Stan guarded a Landing craft in Hong Kong which delivered supplies to remote bases including US stores ?
Stan had close friends Called Vic (from Southhampton, and "Digger" (Digby?) from london.

I would appreciate any advice and help in deciphering the limited information above
and formation of plan i.e. contacting the RM / Records office (would I get more detailed info ?) etc.

Yours Hopefully
Keith

Forum Index » Profile for keith Lewis » Messages posted by keith Lewis
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger