commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: DavidYale
Forum Index » Profile for DavidYale » Messages posted by DavidYale
Map of the route home and daily log of the march, photo's and map copyright of stalag 18A website
http://www.stalag18a.org/frameset.html
Thank you Pete for all you have done, today I have found out that ww2 POW interrogation post-release is now available from National Archives WO 344, that's the next step.
"At four o'clock in the morning, we heard the cries, "Raus! Raus!" and we were tumbled out of bed for the last time at Wolfsberg. Shivering with cold on the parade ground, we were told by the Commandant that we were being evacuated to a safer area. Taking only essentials, we marched off into the unknown.
At first, the going was easy, but as we reached the mountains, it became more tiring. After twenty miles we lay down where we were. A chap in the engineer's shed at the camp had invented a little stove made from two tin cans soldered together, and we all had one, so it wasn't long before the darkness was lit by dozens of stoves brewing up.

We scrambled over the Tauern Pass, bitterly cold walking through snow; twenty miles every day for eleven days.

We finally arrived at Markt Pongau prison camp, where the German guards offered us their rifles. The date was the 10th of May, 1945. The war had been over for two days."

Tom was in this party.
Hi looking for any help re:-
Thomas Frank Rothwell Marine R Marines CH/x106256 /rm 10386
He was with 41 commando
Reported killed 18 sept 1943
But was in fact taken a pow:- in salerno
http://www.stalag18a.org/rollcallR.html
Pow No 8703
My father inlaw was conscripted into RM in 1941 and was taken POW and then onto stalag18A Wolfsberg, Austria. he appears in their roll of prisoners I am looking for any other information about him he did re-enlist in 1946 -1956.

Forum Index » Profile for DavidYale » Messages posted by DavidYale
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger