commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Nettie Edwards
Forum Index » Profile for Nettie Edwards » Messages posted by Nettie Edwards
Thank you Nick, it would be wonderful to be able to add something to your archive but one step at a time: I need to confirm the family story! Sadly, my friend has just one photo of her grandfather, very blurred and taken in later life. However, if I find a Hereford Times funeral account or obituary, their may be an accompanying photograph. Won?t be getting over to the archives there until mid February so not holding my breath!
Thanks Nick! I have Ernest?s birth certificate and a copy of his death certificate should arrive on Friday. Then I?ll do as you have kindly advised. Will report back!
All best wishes,
Nettie
Hello! I?m helping a friend to find out about her grandfather. Family lore has it that he served in the early Special Forces, was awarded the Freedom of the City of Hereford and was buried wearing his green beret. Today I?ve been told that he was a Commando at the battle of Dunkirk where he had a finger shot off. We know that he had a missing finger. I?m an experienced Amateur genealogist but have never had reason yo research Military records. I appreciate that a search of the local newspapers may throw up details in funeral/obituary notices but local resources are not available online and it will be some time before I can get over to Hereford.

So where to begin? I?m sure that someone here can point me in the right direction!
Any advice will be gratefully received. Here?s what we have:
Ernest Llewellyn Jones
Born Burghill, Herefordshire 1916
Married in 1944, address given as Stretton Sugwas, Herefordshire
Occupation given: clerk

I assume that my friend would need a service number before she can apply for any records that might exist?

Thanks and best wishes, Nettie

Forum Index » Profile for Nettie Edwards » Messages posted by Nettie Edwards
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger