commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: mike68
Forum Index » Profile for mike68 » Messages posted by mike68
Nick,

Thank you sir for the information!!! It is much appreciated. I have also sent a question to the Imperial War Museum to see if they have any information.

I will talk to my friend to see if he happens to have any patches, etc. from his father that will help me in my search.

Again, thank you all for you assistance and any future help!

Mike
Pete----Thank you very much for the information sir, I appreciate it sir!

I know that my search is a shot in the dark but both myself and my friend are interested in knowing what his father did during the war.

Again, thank you for your time and post.

Mike
I know that this is a long shot guys, but I will not give up in my quest.

I have done more research both here and other places on the internet but still can't find any more specific information.

I do know that in the beginning of America's start into special operations such as the Rangers, that they did train with British SOE in Scotland (and England I think). He was not a Ranger since I am currently reading a book about them and his name is not among the list of team members.

My friends father did tell him that he he fought with the British Commando's during the war (he passed away in 2003). I do not really have any other information since he did not talk about his experiences to his son (my friend).

Any information, books, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for the help!

Mike
Good afternoon gentleman,

I am trying to find information for my good friend about his father. Here is what I know and have been told by my friend.

His fathers name was Harry D. Edmiston and he was in the US Navy during WW II. His rank in the Navy was SK 2 (store keeper) and he enlisted in 1942 at the age of 17.

He was attached to the British Commando's and was in England (?). He and approximately 100 men went ashore the day before D-Day with only a pistol, some knives and a garrote to take out German machine gun nests. According to my friends father, only approximately 8-10 made it back.

After the war, he was stationed on the USS Mercury as security for the return trip of the British Crown Jewels, gold, etc.

After he got out of the US Navy, he returned to civilian life. My friend said that he was still "wound pretty tight" and would practice for several hours after work everyday shooting his 1911 and throwing his knives.

In his later years, I had the privilege of meeting and talking with my friends father. He was a true warrior and an honorable man.

Any information anyone could give me about the history of American soldiers attached to the British Commando's would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for the help!

Mike

Forum Index » Profile for mike68 » Messages posted by mike68
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger