commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Alexander Ross
Forum Index » Profile for Alexander Ross » Messages posted by Alexander Ross
Hello Chaps,
Am still working on the biography of Major Geoffrey Langlands (No. 4 Commando):
https://www.arossauthor.com
On the 13th of February 2021 a memorial was held at Aitchison College, Lahore, Pakistan honouring the Major with this bust. It is great that the memories and achievements of these men are being kept alive.
Best,
Alexander Ross
Thanks Nick. Will look into that.
Are you aware of the debate about who actually signed off on the Raid and was responsible? Apparently no one has ever found the official order papers...
I wonder if there was sufficient control to allow for it to have been a front for another operation?
Best,
Alexander
Good morning.
Has anyone seen the following films?
Dieppe 1942 (1979) Documentary (Dir. Terence Macartney-Filgate) and Dieppe (1993) TV Movie, Director: John N. Smith.
If so, what did you think?
Would you know how to get hold of them?
Thank you.
Alexander
Thank you both Bill and Pete.
Very kind of you.
I will update you on my research as I go along.
All best,
Alexander
Brilliant! Thank you Bill.
Does the name: Geoffrey Langlands mean anything to you?
He was part of No. 4 and on the raid, somehow he ended up taking a lot of the photographs used in the Will Fowler book.
Best wishes,
Alexander
Thanks very much Pete.
Very useful information.
Thanks for sharing.
Was that No.4 Commando or 5? Not sure there was a 45.
Did your father mention anything else about why it was a disaster?
The thing is that a lot has been written about Mountbatten and Hughes-Hallett's involvement, but very little about the enlisted men.
I am trying to get a better understanding of their experience.
Did your father ever refer to any psychological "scars" as a result of the experience?
For instance, a good friend of mine was a door gunner in a Huey in Vietnam. To his dying day he slept with a B.A.R. and was never the same...

Hello,
I just finished reading Brian Loring Villa's "Mountbatten and the Dieppe Raid 1942".
Does anyone have any thoughts on the contents? Particularly on Mountbatten's role?
Do any other books come to mind?
I am very keen to better understand the experience of the enlisted soldiers in No. 4 Commando and the specifically the Raid.
Any suggestions?
Finally, bearing in mind the intensity of the raid, is it fair to assume that a lot the British soldiers would have been left with some psychological consequences?
With thanks,
Dr. Alexander Ross
Thanks very much Pete.
I had heard of it, but never seen it.
This will rectify the omission nicely.
Best wishes,
Alexander
Dear Bill,
Thank you for your support.
I will aim to share any interesting findings in this forum.
Best wishes,
Alexander
Thanks very much Nick.
Will do.
Best,
Alexander
Hello,
Major Langlands was my maths teacher at Aitchison College. I have undertaken to write his biography and would really like to get his military service right.
He was part of what some have called the "silent generation" which made great sacrifices but did not really talk about it afterwards and just got on with life. I suspect that there is a lot more to his military career than has been explored.
I would be most grateful for some guidance with the following:
1) How to access his full military record?
2) Information on No. 4 Commando and the Dieppe Raid + Mountbatten's involvement.
3) British officers in India at the tail end of the Raj.
4) The partition.
With thanks,
Alexander Ross

Forum Index » Profile for Alexander Ross » Messages posted by Alexander Ross
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger