commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Mike Nicholls
Forum Index » Profile for Mike Nicholls » Messages posted by Mike Nicholls
Hello Craig,
Thankyou very much for answering my request.
I will look through the 30AU website tomorrow. it seems to have a large archive of relevant material.
I will also buy a copy of Guy Farrin's book.
Thanks again.
ATB,
Mike.
Hi all,
Brand new to the forum so please excuse my lack of expertise and limited knowledge.
My friend of many years, Mr Colin Warman has related many times that his father, now deceased, was a Royal Marine Commando in WW2. Since we have retired and have more time to spend on family history, i thought it would be nice to put some facts to this sketchy history of his father. Here are some details taken from Mr Warmans service papers/discharge documents:-

Ply/x 108441 Ernest Arthur Warman.

Service:-
Deal holding -- Marine 23/6/42 to 30/9/42
"Gosling" " 1/10/42 to 10/11/42
"Jackdaw" " 11/11/42 to 3/12/43
HBL RMT G or 9 (D) " 4/12/43 to 23/6/44
HBL 30 Assault Unit " 24/6/44 to 25/9/44
Plymouth Division E " 26/9/44 to 4/5/46 Discharged

Physically unfit for Royal Marine Service.

At some stage during, presumably, his service in 30 Assault Unit, his leg was blown off. His wife recalls him talking occasionaly about Cherbourg and Brest but shes 96 years old, so how much that means is uncertain. Putting two and two together i hazarded a guess at losing his leg while searching the U Boat pens in Brest. i now the whole area was mined.
Can anyone help. Throw some light on his service as a Commando. His son would have something more to leave his children than a couple of parchment certificates.
Many thanks,
Mike Nicholls.

Forum Index » Profile for Mike Nicholls » Messages posted by Mike Nicholls
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger