commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Kelvin Fosberry
Forum Index » Profile for Kelvin Fosberry » Messages posted by Kelvin Fosberry
I'm attaching a group photo of our father's unit which we found after he passed away. He never spoke of this photo, so we have no details (the when or where). Our father - Leslie Fosberry - is second row, 9th from the left. I don't know if this was taken at the Commando Training Facility, after he was assigned to No. 4, or after he was transferred to No. 3 . I'm hoping that somebody can shed some light and/or recognize some other faces. Thank you.

Kelvin Fosberry
Thank you all for the prompt responses and the information. It all makes sense now.

My father's Book 64/Soldier's Service & Pay Book lists his "Army Number" as 14396460. This number also appears on his Record of Service card (Army Form W5258), from which I referenced his list of Regiments/Corps. I assume Army Number and Service Number are one in the same. And yes, his Book 64 lists his Approved Society as "Hampshire Friendly".

Yes, please Nick - I'll gladly accept your offer to point me in the right direction to the MoD for his service records.

Finally, can I assume that the two photos of my father that I've attached (I don't know how to insert them into this dialogue box), in khaki dress shorts and with the shoulder patches that look like some type of leaf or tree, are NOT from his time as a Commando?

Thanks again,

Kelvin Fosberry
Could someone tell me the relationship between No. 4 Commando and the Hampshire Regiment? My father - Leslie Kenneth Fosberry - was in No. 4 (and then briefly in No. 3). But as I was going through his collection of service items and documents after his passing, in addition to his No. 4 and No. 3 shoulder flashes I also found 'The Hampshire Regt.' shoulder flashes. And then when I found his Record of Service Card, it lists his Regiment as "Hamps" from January 17, 1943 to August 8, 1946.

Also - everything I've read about the Commandos being disbanded identify January 1946 as the date, but (again) his Record of Service shows August 8, 1946 as his final date with the Hampshire Regiment, before he was transferred to the Royal Sussex Regiment until August 1947.

I'm trying to nail down some details of his service history, as the town in Canada where he spent his final 35 years is interviewing the family and relatives of the town's veterans to produce a Remembrance video.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Kelvin Fosberry

Forum Index » Profile for Kelvin Fosberry » Messages posted by Kelvin Fosberry
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger