commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: J_Maffeo
Forum Index » Profile for J_Maffeo » Messages posted by J_Maffeo
Victoria,

I'll be very grateful for any help in my research.
Please, feel free to write me to any of the following e-mail addresses:
[email protected]
[email protected]

Kind regards,

Jose Maffeo
Thanks Geoff.

I've found this patrol report signed by Captain Collins on June 16th 1944.

I'll try to find something more about his experiences on Dieppe.

Regards,

Jose Maffeo

--------------------------------------------------------------

"SUBJECT: PATROL REPORT
TYPE: STANDING PATROL
AREA: FARM BUILDINGS - M.R. 140755
STRENGTH One Officer and 23 O.Rs.
OBJECT: TO HOLD LONGUEMERE UNTIL RELIEVED

The patrol was ready by 1325 hours and left 1 Troop lines at 1345 hours. On approaching to with 300 yds of FARM a quick recce was made and it was found the FARM was unoccupied. The patrol then took over the area, being split into four groups. Three with bren guns facing NORTH EAST and WEST, HQ in rear making WEST point of square. Patrol did not use buildings at all.
Observations posts of two men each were placed out, one to watch X rds 144752, the other the woods to the WEST of the posn. They reported every half hour to Tp HQ.
During the occupation there was desultory shelling and mortar fire coming from our own and enemy posns.
At 1930 hours a Smoke screen was laid on the track 148753 and the relief patrol of 45 Cdo appeared through it. Handing over was completed thoroughly and patrol returned to its lines at 1955 hours.
No enemy movement was observed during this time.

(Sgd) CEA Collins, Captain,
O.C. No 1 Troop.
Field."

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think the officer in charge of the commandos on board the Eureka was Lt Peter John Kenward, but I'm not sure.

Jose Maffeo
Hi,

I'm searching information about Sgt Clive Collins.

He was aboard an Eureka boat in Dieppe, which was under the command of an anglo-argentine officer, S/Lt Neville Dunn RNVR.

The Eureka suffered heavy enemy fire. Only they survived, the rest of the men in the boat died. Collins was able to sail back to England with the help of Dunn.

I would like to have more information about Collins, and his journey from Dieppe to Newhaven.

Thanks a lot.

Jose Maffeo
Argentina

Thanks Nicholas, I'll try to find "Stealthy by Night", but here in Argentina it's very difficult to find good literature on such specific issues, so I usually nedd to rely on E-Bay or Amazon.
Great info Nicholas, Leonard Bentley is a mistery. I couldn't find any information about his family in Argentina.
If you find more information about Bentley or other Anglo Argentine veteran, please let me know.
Thanks again.

Jose Maffeo
I'm looking for information about Leonard Bentley, marine, "B" Troop, 30 Assault Unit.
He was another anglo-argentine volunteer, and died of wounds, after a bombing in St. Mere Eglise (June 11, 1944).
His service number was CH/X114551.

Regards,

Jose Maffeo

Hi,

I'm looking for information about Lt. Cyril G. Walmsey, RM Commando.
He joined the RM in 1941, and received the rank of 2nd. Lt on December 1941, and Lt. on June 1942.
He participated in Operation Husky (¿RM Commando 40 or 41?).
Left Argentina aboard SS Andalucia Star and returned aboard SS Tamaroa.
If someone has more information, please let me know.

Regards,

Jose Maffeo
Thanks a lot Danny.

I guess Venn was the only officer of the F Commando killed on D-Day.

Perhaps he earned his DSC during the Sicily landings.

Thanks again.

José
I have another name of an Anglo-Argentine volunteer.
His name was Cyril Guise Walmsley (Lt), he was a marine and was wounded on D-Day.
I'm trying to determine whether he was a commando or part of the crew of an LCI.

If someone has any information, please let me know.

Regards

José

Excellent information Danny.

Please, let me know if you find any additional information about Venn.

Regards

José
Thanks for the tips Pete.

I've found a lot of information about Godwin and Operation Checkmate.
There's also a book about him, "Godwin's saga".

I've also got information about Cooper, especially from the book "The Secret Invaders."
George Burbidge disappeared along with Cooper while searching for the commander of the COPP 3, who had disappeared five days earlier.

Venn is still a mystery. I couldn't find anything in the London Gazette about his DSC. I will try in the Royal Navy Submarine Musem.

Regards

José
It is illegal to have a .303 caliber rifle in the UK?

I'm from Argentina and I'm about to purchase one. It's legal here, for those who are authorized.

It's a pity, since there must be a lot of Lee Enfields in the UK.

José Maffeo
Confirmed.
Lt Henry Albert Venn RNVR was a commando.
He received the DSC.
I am doing a research on Anglo-Argentine volunteers who were part of the RN during WW2.

I would like to know more about three RN commandos:

Albert Henry Venn (died on D-Day, I think he was part of a landind party, but I'm not sure if he was a commando).
John Godwin (captured on Norway, killed in a german prison camp).
Noel Cooper (disappeared off the coast of Sicily - COPP 3).

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks a lot,

José Maffeo

Forum Index » Profile for J_Maffeo » Messages posted by J_Maffeo
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger