commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: pd_jennings
Forum Index » Profile for pd_jennings » Messages posted by pd_jennings
Hi all

I have found more information out, through Tuckers wife (My Grandma) about events post D Day.

I am hoping the experience on the forum may be able to piece it together.

My Grandad served in North Africa apparently either learning to parachute or on a further parachute course in Algiers. Was due to go out to Burma but ended up not going.

Took part in a raid delivered via submarine in Sicily, the operation only lasted 24 hours and my grandma remembered how my grandad had to row a shore in a dingee and next night had to row back out to meet the submarine for a pick up. The operation might have been to blow something up or recce the beaches.

I have found this which seems to tie up with his who dares wins signia.
http://odh.trevizo.org/copps.html

Took part in a operation in Norway (perhaps Vaasgo!)
Just watched it brilliant.

Cant believe Tucker got in there too with 2 photos.
Hi Craig

Would love to come to the display event if its at all possible?
Hi Steve,

If you know any good storys, feel free to share them.

:)

Thanks Pete, that amazing.
Hi Pete

I have just found the original photo used in newspaper cutting next to HM.

I will mail it across.
Hi all

Firstly thanks for all the help you have all given me recently, I would still be twiddling my thumbs and scratching my head, if it wasn't for you all.

However I need a bit of help (again)

Attached are 3 pictures, My grandad sporting a tie, even though Commandos did not wear ties normally in case any one spots him in a photo.

The second is a collection of my grandads insignia, this is were it gets a little exciting.

The third is one which my grandma has the original, I think this may be a new picture, unsure if its 3 troop, 4 troop or even Beds & Herts. If anyone can help that would be superb.

My Grandad passed commando selection in 4 troop, he spent time in Africa, Sciliy and Italy. He went back to the UK just before D-Day and then joined 3 Troop and met up with Stan Scott and Bud Eaton who have shared good stories and great yet alarming eye witnesses accounts :)

However the trail in Africa, Italy and Sicily turns cold. All I know is my grandad spent alot of the time getting dropped off and picked up in submarines on the enemy coast and according to my grandma and Dad was in or served with the SAS, my Grandad signed a secerts act and when I mentioned this to Stan, Stan mentioned that it sounds like he was in the SAS.

I have the above badges that my grandad kept with him, he has the wings in green colour too, he also has another set of wings which look slighty different.

How is the best way to carry on this research, Stan said it would be hard, people who served with SAS do not talk about it much as they signed the secrets act, which my grandad did tell me he signed, Stan mentined they were all serious soldiers so took the secrets act seriously.

I have the book Winged Dagger (Roy Farrah) and I have not red it recently but I am sure my Grandad is briefly mentioned in here.

Its a bit of a shame really, this is a real piece of the puzzle I would love to uncover.

Thanks Paul
Hi Nic

Thanks for that, the picture has not come out right, is it possible to resend?

Thanks Paul
Hi all

Has anyone seen or point me in the direction of the good quality copy of the photo used in the reproduction of the Original Storm From The Sea as the front cover.

Basically they are coming to shore with a pair of ladders.

Scotty mentioned the one with the helmet pointing down and the Thompson is Tucker Jennings.

PS. I am getting lots of original photos that you all may not have seen before of 4 and 3 troop of three commando. I am going to ask Pete if he can put them on the site :)

Thanks in advance.
Forgot to mention Tucker Jennings was Bed and Herts and I and doing similar research, perhaps we can share notes :)

Thanks P
Hi Craig

Dix served with my grandad in 3 Commando, I have 3 individual newspaper cuttings with pictures of when 3 Commando met the queen mum in 1945/6. Taken from the newspapers, I think Dix is right in front of the queen mum and my dad has the actual photo (Better Quality)

Tucker (Grandad) thought highly of Dix and Tucker was not easily pleased. If your researching books I don't think Dix would have been to far away from Troopers Jennings, Osbourne, Scott and Barnes. Talking to Stan it was a close nit community.

For others reading this, the newspaper also includes the following troopers.

If anyone would like copys let me know :)

J. Leech
Hothersall
G Davis
Tucker Jennings
G Vango
Freestone
Dix
Simms
Oatley
Hi Pete

Just got off the phone again tonight to Stan and I will be speaking with Bud Eaton who apparently should shed some light on my grandads service during africa and how he got his Special Air Service wings.

He gave me a eye witness account of my grandads MM action (above).

Stan mentioned that what isn't mentioned they then went on to secure Le Plein by 'removing 35 germans' and taking 15 germans prisoner.

The entire story is awe inspiring.

:)
Thanks Unknown Commando,

First thoughts were, jesus he was braver than me, I am going to ask Stan about this and see if he can give me a eye witness accountant.
Thanks Pete

Hi

I am Tom's Grandson and I would love to learn more about my Grandad, I know he has pictures on this site, and the info I have on my Grandad is third hand so apologies if I get any of it wrong.

. Bed & Herts - Parent Reg
. Joined 3 Commando
. Served under Peter Young
. Great friends of Osbourne and Barnes, according to my Grandma Osbourne was a lovable rouge and Barnes was a butcher so my grandad ate well. Listed in Storm of the Sea as shouting at German guns with Osbourne
. Had SAS badges (black) but did not talk about it
. Landed at Sword
. Won the George Cross and met the Queen Mum.
. Guarded the Queen Mum at some kind of show.
. Trained Indian Officers hand to hand combat after the war.

Please help, little snipets of things he did or said would mean alot.

Thanks Paul
Hi

I'm pretty sure my Grandad Tom Tucker Jennings would have served with Peter Gibson. Here is what I know, if anyone else knows any more info, please let me know,

. Recruited from Bed & Herts
. Served in No 3 Commando
. CO was Peter Young
. In pocession of SAS badges never spoke about it though
. landed at Sword
. Served in Africa
. Won the george cross
. Was a corporal

. Friends were Barnes & Osbourne "Great quote in Storm from the Sea were my Grandad and Osbourne were shouting from the landing craft at sword that the germans were rubbish shots.

My Grandad mentioned that Barnes was a trained butcher so they always ate well

Forum Index » Profile for pd_jennings » Messages posted by pd_jennings
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger