commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Ander
Forum Index » Profile for Ander » Messages posted by Ander
And another. Sadly the names of the personalities are unknown
An additional photo of 3 Troop which I've not seen in other public forums. It's a pity the quality isn't better.
A new book released telling the story of X Troop 10 (IA) Cdo
https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/111/1118229/x-troop/9781784743116.html
My grandfather was with Ernie when he died, and visited his grave in 1989.
This Polish commando was at the 10 Commando tree at the National Memorial Arboretum, 03 May 2006. Pictured with my grandmother and his friend. Regretfully I don't know the name of the Polish commando.
[img]
Hi Harry. My grandfather wrote a letter to my grandmother in which he mentions the TSM. I'll get a copy in the next couple of weeks and post here- I think you'll find it of interest...
Thank you for your article. I tried posting on the Prague Post, but as I'm not sure it went through I hope you don't mind me repeating it in this forum.

My grandfather, Geoffrey Broadman (Friedl Sruh), was a soldier of X Troop. However he was Austrian, and it's not really him I'd like to write about here.

When the Anschluss made life difficult for the young Friedl Sruh, it was his Czech friend Ladislav Karasec * who aided his escape. In Czechoslovakia, Friedl joined some kind of military organisation (described perhaps incorrectly as a student brigade) in preparation for resisting the next German conquest. When this came to naught Friedl found himself on the move again, eventually to the UK and X Troop.

A brave and selfless act by this Czech man, it will of course have no memorial, indeed is almost virtually forgotten, let alone dignified with any formal honour. But many adventures later, not least his service with 3 Troop, Geoff measured the great debt he owed his friend Ladislav when honoured his first son with the name Ladi.

And here I?d like to memorialise Ladislav Karasec, my forgotten Czech hero.

* I hope I don?t dishonour him with a misspelling of his name.

Forum Index » Profile for Ander » Messages posted by Ander
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger