commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: joshuaclarke
Forum Index » Profile for joshuaclarke » Messages posted by joshuaclarke
http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/2+Troop_+No_5+Cdo_+1941.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1
Should add that the resemblance is to Alfie not Albert as I've never even seen a picture of Albert.
Hi Nick,

very puzzling! maybe it was just Alfie in the commandos & Albert couldn't of died in the war.

2 troop first pic 1941 bottom row - 2nd in from the left, crouching next to the gentleman with glasses but i could be wrong, as I'm looking through my phone. but there is a resemblance

Regards

josh
Thanks for the forms Nick - much appreciated.

Yes you are right, we have something we can build on, I've looked a little further into it & the story that went was that Albert was killed in the war or so we always thought as Alfie never spoke about him much after the war apart from the stories of him while they were to war in the commandos. now I've managed to find Alberts birth certificate. he was born 1912 in bethnal green, mothers maiden name was " Payne" and I've crossed reference with alfies birth certificate & it confirms that the birth certificate I've found of Alberts is definitely him.

Albert Robert Fenn , although i cannot find a death certificate on the GRO index which is puzzling me.

Regards

Josh

Hi Guy,

Yes that's Alfie alright! birbank road, french polisher!! (one of the best i've ever seen, i still have a table of his in storage) is there any other info on him?

Thank you so much all, you've really given me some great places to look & great information to go on. time for me to go onto the MOD with his death certificate etc see if i can get the full record. fills me with pride, he was extremely proud of his commando days & had many stories that i will never forget. so much given & sacrificed.

Nick if i get all the service records etc, will Alfreds picture be on this site with his details etc? i would love for him to be forever remembered not just in my heart but for anyone else to see should they wish.

Once i've got all that i will then work on Albert.

I'm sure they will give me Alfreds though as all the info i have plus my mothers relation.

Regards

Josh
Hi Guy,

Yes that is correct.

regards

Josh
Hi Nick,

Yes i have all his information including birth certificate & death certificate etc. i have the forms i thought i needed so any help would be appreciated.

i don't know if he did that in the kent regiment or the commandos.

Would a gnr have been part of a demolition unit? or were all commandos skilled in all parts?

regards

josh

Hi Nick,

Thank you very much,  I am trying to find out more as i go along so any new info i get i will update you, 

The story went that Alfie signed up himself & albert for the commandos while being in the army. they had a younger brother who served in the royal navy called Bill.

Alfie i believed to be in some kind of demolition (his stories would suggest) my mother also has told me that he was a part of blowing bridges, there was also a letter from an officer to Alfred (which is also not found) about him being a bat man??  don't know if that makes any sense to you? he lived in Hackney before he joined the army & done his training in Scotland.

The search continues for his service number number.

Regards

Josh

Hi Nick,

just checked uncle alfies death certificate & his full name was Alfred Harold Fenn so it could be him.
Albert was in the commandos too yes however i believe he was a sergeant or an officer of some kind as i recall a funny story that Alfred would tell about Albert having to charge him for swearing at a fellow officer.
i do not know the unit Albert was in but i would of thought it would be tthe same as Alfred.

I do not have his full name all i have is albert Fenn, it could be victor but i am unsure

regards

Josh
Hi Nick,

Thank you very much, have sent them over on outlook, hopefully they go through

Regards

Josh
Pictures will not attach for some reason, i can send to e-mails if need be?
Hi All,

Perhaps someone can help me or point me in the right direction, am currently in the process of writing to the MOD for the search but nontheless,

My great uncle (deceased) served with the commandos (i believe it to be 5CDO) in Burma, i do not currently have his service no. but i am looking to put together a memorial picture. i have some pictures that he left me that have finally been returned to me after many years. along with a few of his stories, one of the pictures is of him at a pay parade in Burma 1944, also attached is a reunion picture of 5cdo but could not tell you what year, i know his brother was killed in Burma alongside him.

Name: Alfred Fenn
brother who died: Albert Fenn

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be much appreciated

thank you for your time

Josh Clarke

Forum Index » Profile for joshuaclarke » Messages posted by joshuaclarke
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger