commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Thetfordcelebrant
Forum Index » Profile for Thetfordcelebrant » Messages posted by Thetfordcelebrant
Hi Nick

I have posted a couple of messages on SBS sites on FB but nothing yet but I do have more proof now - apparently the friend had a certificate which I didn't know about previously.

He was Sergeant Royal Marine No: 2429213; No.2 Section Special Boat Squadon, 42 Commando Detachment. RNID RN2852/RM issued on 20/08/1958.

Certificate of merit: 1st Special Service Force South East Asia Operation

Commanding Officer: Col. R B Bowden

Is there anything you can tell me about this? I will do some more research myself now.

Many thanks
Amanda
Hi Nick

I see you have put a call out on Facebook - thank you so much. His friend has now emailed me a self portrait which he painted himself. Strange because I can't seem to find any National Service records for him and he would have qualified for that and also, Norman's friend said she was talking to a friend of his wife Davina, who told her that Davina had told her friend that Norman was awarded the VC but he declined it. He is not on any VC list of recipients that I can see. I am starting to wonder if he was in the Service at all, but let's hope your efforts prove fruitful. I am eternally grateful - thank you.

Amanda
Hi again Nick

I have just asked the friend for her permission and she says that she thinks it would be very nice for Norman if anyone did want to attend but she doesn't think he would want a full blown affair. Please let me know if anybody comes forward. Is there anywhere I can look to confirm when he served and perhaps what he might have did?

Many thanks again
Amanda
Hi Nic

Thank you so much for your response. The Google thread you have found was possibly something I did last year as I also took his wife's service - she passed in August.

His funeral is at 10.30am at West Suffolk Crematorium in the Abbey Chapel in Bury St Edmunds. There will probably only be about 4 people going sadly. I doubt anyone will be available to attend and I don't think he would want a military send off as such, I was just trying to find out some more info on him but thank you so much in any event.

Kind regards
Amanda
Hello. I am a funeral celebrant and I am researching information on a gentleman whose funeral service I am leading in a couple of weeks time (23 January). He has died alone, leaving no family or friends, save for one who is organising his funeral, but she has only known him in later years. She says he talked about being in the Special Boat Service in the late 1950s but he didn't speak about it much as she doesn't think he had a particular great time within it - she knows he served in Asia and thinks he may have been captured and tortured. I am wondering if there is anybody that can give me any snippets of information, or may even know of the gentlemen - he made the grade of Sergeant Norman Francis Keeble.

Any information that I could include in his service to give him a suitably dignified and lovely send off would be gratefully received.

Many thanks, Amanda

Forum Index » Profile for Thetfordcelebrant » Messages posted by Thetfordcelebrant
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger