commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: lorraine salter
Forum Index » Profile for lorraine salter » Messages posted by lorraine salter
The picture of No 3 commando on HMS Prince Leopold in the gallery is fantastic! Thrilled to bits as my gt Uncle Richard Harding is on it. We've been after a pic of him with his comrades for ages!
Went to Alrewas on Sunday to look at the Commando Memorial. After Richards name it has MM. Very confused now. Why would they put MM after his name when it's thought he didn't get it?
Just found this!
Must say how gutted we are to find out that Richard never got the MM. Just speaking to my mum (Richards niece) and we have both said we realise now we would have definately known if hed had it. Grandad wouldve told us for sure as would Richards other surviving siblings Aunty Molly and Uncle Jack.
But at least he was recommended!
Anyway Stephane! We are waiting for a reply from the Mayor about August. Nigel emailed him last month. Need to get our ferry booked. Hope we see you there!
Lorraine.
Had a great weekend! Everyone made me feel very welcome.

Thanks to Stephane who made everything possible for me. Sorry Im a bit late with the thanks- my daughter got married at the weekend so been busy.

Hoping to go next year now. Trying to persuade my mum (Richard Hardings neice) to go with us. Im sure she will find it just if not more emotional as I did.
Watched it with interest. Just a little disappointed that they only detailed the one beach landing at Dieppe-not Bernaval where my gt Uncle landed and was killed . My mother (his neice) also noted that Canadian Commandos were mentioned but not the British ones(cant confirm this though will have to watch it again myself!)

Hoping this is the start of more documentaries on Dieppe this year for the 70th anniversary.
Yes Pete, My Gt Uncle Richard's is going to be sent to my mum. She comes back off holiday tomorrow so its going to be a suprise for her.

Have more info on Richard Harding I will submit in another thread. Lorraine
Wondering if there is anybody on here who knew my great uncle or has any photos of him with his fellow commando's. I have lots of photos of him on his own.

His name was Richard Harding. He was with No 3 Commando 2 Troop.

Thank you.

Forum Index » Profile for lorraine salter » Messages posted by lorraine salter
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger