commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Bala
Forum Index » Profile for Bala » Messages posted by Bala
Many thanks nic for such useful information -

Are there RM Medal Rolls for each campaign and if so where can they be searched?
Thanks for the additional information.

Pete do you have contact details for Major Ramsay's son that you could let me have.

Best wishes
Pete

Thank you for that lead. A while back I saw that his regiment was 'Camerons' and contacted the Cameron Highlands Museum. Later I got cofirmation that it should have been the QOCH.

I now know that -
WW1 he was a Captain in the Northumberland Fusiliers.
WW2 He was a Major and his Regiment was the QOCH.
He was Second -in-Command of No.11 Commando when it was first formed, then Deputy Commander of AUXILIARY UNITS.

There must be a photograph of him somewhere.
Many thanks Sam - really appreciate your help.

Every bit of information puts another piece in the jigsaw.
If you ever spot a photo of him or can suggest where I may find one, please let me know.

Thanks again

Bill
Sam

Yes please post any mention of Major N Bruce RAMSAY you have.

I would have thought that he had left No. 11 Commando before 1941 and Operation Flipper. As my earlier posting says - he was quiet elderly and moved over to make room for a younger (and fitter) man.

Thanks again

Bill
Pete

Sorry not to have mentioned my source but you are correct I did read it on No 11 Commando write up.

Regards Bill
Looking for a photograph and information on Major N. B. RAMSAY
2 i/c of 11 (Scottish) COMMANDO in 1940

Only info known is....

.......The Commando had marched through Ayr on September 4 and on September 6, were sent by special train to Fairlie where they embarked for Lamlash on Arran in the Glen Sannox. At Lamlash they were marched off the pier and divided into groups for billeting in homes in the village. The second in command, Major N. Bruce Ramsay (Camerons) was an enormous, jovial but elderly man who left Geoffrey Keyes in charge of the billeting arrangements. Officers were given a daily allowance of 13/4d while the other ranks (O.R.) were allowed 6/8d. The officers rented the White House from the Duchess of Montrose as an officer's mess. The officers were allowed one day off per week for sport and they also let some of the Duchess of Montrose's shooting.

...... Some of the older officers, who provided the early logistical support, dropped out to be replaced with younger men who were rapidly gaining experience. As Second in Command, Major Ramsay had acted as a buffer between the outspoken Pedder and Scottish Command and this difficult job was then taken over by Keyes, newly promoted to Captain.

Any suggestions welcome

Forum Index » Profile for Bala » Messages posted by Bala
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger