commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Robert Graham
Forum Index » Profile for Robert Graham » Messages posted by Robert Graham
Robert Graham wrote:
Pete wrote:Mark Heard sent me this photo which he thinks was taken in 1987 of Commando Veterans including Mark's father Tom Heard of No.2 Cdo., and Sir Harry Secombe at The Commando Memorial.

I see there are plenty of smiles and that is one of many things that Harry could do - make people laugh. For those who remember the Goon Shows there was one memorable show which recounted a secret Combined Ops raid on Crete not recorded in any official record and was led by a Lieutenant Seagoon . It involved some of his Unit including Ellington, Eccles, and Bloodok. This includes some pre raid training at the Marine Commando Spaghetti Hurling Depot at Rhyll
If you remember the shows this will bring a smile when you read it:

Ill met by Goonlight
Series 7, Episode 23
First broadcast 14th March 1957. Script by Spike Milligan and Larry Stephens, produced by Pat Dixon. Transcription by John Koster

http://www.thegoonshow.net/scripts_show.asp?title=s07e23_ill_met_by_goonlight

Harry was awarded the CBE for his work for the Army Benevolent Fund. In 1981 he was awarded a knighthood for his services to entertainment and charity. He passed away on April 11th, 2001 at the age of 79.
Pete wrote:Mark Heard sent me this photo which he thinks was taken in 1987 of Commando Veterans including Mark's father Tom Heard of No.2 Cdo., and Sir Harry Secombe at The Commando Memorial.

I see there are plenty of smiles and that is one of many things that Harry could do - make people laugh. For those who remember the Goon Shows there was one memorable show which recounted a secret Combined Ops raid on Crete not recorded in any official record and was led by a Lieutenant Seagoon . It involved some of his Unit including Ellington, Eccles, and Bloodok. This includes some pre raid training at the Marine Commando Spaghetti Hurling Depot at Rhyll
If you remember the shows this will bring a smile when you read it:

Ill met by Goonlight
Series 7, Episode 23
First broadcast 14th March 1957. Script by Spike Milligan and Larry Stephens, produced by Pat Dixon. Transcription by John Koster

http://www.thegoonshow.net/scripts_show.asp?title=s07e23_ill_met_by_goonlight

Harry was awarded the CBE for his work for the Army Benevolent Fund. In 1981 he was awarded a knighthood for his services to entertainment and charity. He passed away on April 11th, 2001 at the age of 79.

Forum Index » Profile for Robert Graham » Messages posted by Robert Graham
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger