commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Antoine A.
Forum Index » Profile for Antoine A. » Messages posted by Antoine A.
Sorry, there were only two. I am attaching some more here.
Dear Guy

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. The information and pictures are most useful to me and give me some ideas on what to add to my collection next.

Re your question, I am part of a group reenacting as a Commando group (No 4 Commando) and I have just developed an interest on communications. We also do LRDG and airborne, although we reenact mainly as commando group.

I have attached three pictures.

Antonio A.
Hi

I was wondering whether someone would have some detailed information, or know where I could find it, on communications equipment used by army commando units. I am trying to put together both combat and Bde. HQ kit/gear. So far, I have have been lucky enough to get a WS38 MKII*. Should a WS 22 or the WS 18 be the next step?

Any information, would be very welcome.

Thanks

Antoine A.
Hi Nick and Pete

Thank you very much indeed for your information. I guessed the cap badge I attached a picture of might be post war (sealed pattern dated 12th August 1946).

The pictures without the outer oval band give me a very good idea about what it would look like, Nick. Really appreciated.

I am considering on modifying the 1946 pattern. I might cut off the scroll inscribed "Certa Cito" and should look very much like the original (only the laurel leaves would be on a lower position).

I will also send a private message to either Jean-Baptiste or Mike Beckett, and see what they have to say.

Again, thanks a lot for your help.

I will let you know how it goes.

Antoine A.
Hi

I would really appreciate any help on Commando signals Cap Badges. I understand it was the Jimmy but without the brass encirclement. Did it also have the motto "Certa Cito" at the feet of Mercury or was it a post war modification? I am attaching a picture below.

Many thanks in advance.

Antoine A.
Hi again

It is really interesting what you say. All the pictures I have found are of commandos attached to units mostly made up of non-British soldiers and it is very likely they were not part of Royal Corps of Signals.

I found your the pictures of former shoulder titles (the ones with the letters SS either side of the dagger and the lighting flash) you posted on 20/02/2013. After going through all posts I find the topic on Commando signals more confusing but also absorbing.

Not sure whether I understood it correctly; there were 4 different Special Service Brigades: 2 of them seem to have been mostly involved, if not attached, to RN marines, and 2 to Army commandos. I wonder what brigades might have been operating alongside No4 Commandos (the unit I reenact in).

All in all, re shoulder titles, I totally agree with you it should be the curved red lettered on dark blue/black? one

As for the cap badge:

I will be looking forward to hearing more about signals. Meanwhile, I will try and get a copy of "The Royal Corps of Signals: Unit Histories of the Corps (1920-2001) and its Antecedents", by Cliff Lord.

Many thanks

Antoine A.

Hi Vlewes

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I agree with you on the "new" modified version of commando signals cap badges. I have read somewhere, the regiment started to create its own signals group and, as a result, many servicemen in Royal Signals Corps volunteered, wearing their original/former unit cap badges. Apparently, volunteers from all other different units did not like much the idea of hanging about "signalers" whose training was mostly focused on communications, radio sets, etc. As a solution, the original badge was modified and they took part in physical training more actively (more or less). The thing is, I am not so sure about shoulder titles. I have seen a couple of pictures of commando signalers and they are wearing their unit ones (only French and Polish commandos, so I am not sure whether it was common practice in all units). Also in pictures where they are wearing their best uniform, they are still wearing their unit badge (Check Jean Couturier, No10 Commandos).

I have just a WS38. Mostly used by Airborne units, I found out commandos also used them in some operations (I have only seen pictures taken during the battle for Normandy, to be honest with you). I also have a Morse signalling lamp, which comes very handy during amphibious operations (I believe these were more common with RN commandos, but still works for other units). My new project now is either to get a WS18 or a WS11 (the latter is more like a dream or fantasy, so hard it is to find one of those sets!!!!

I really appreciate your help on the topic. Please, if you find out something about signals badges and commandos, do not hesitate to let me know.

Best wishes

Antoine A.
Hi everyone

I am new to this forum. I am a reenactor and do commando group (No 4 Commando).

I have a couple of questions related to signals:

As far as I know, they had their own signals group (commando signals). What sort of cap badge would they wear? Exactly the same as Royal Signals Corps without the bronze surrounding (as I believe I have read in some message in this forum) or the standard issued Royal Signals Corps one? Would they have any backing on beret (from private to corporal)?

Re shoulder titles, was it common practice to wear the COMMANDO SIGNALS badge on the battledress or was only worn the unit badge?

Many thanks in advance for your time.

Antoine A. :)

Forum Index » Profile for Antoine A. » Messages posted by Antoine A.
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger