commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: [email protected]
Forum Index » Profile for [email protected] » Messages posted by [email protected]
By The way I found these two photos in my dads album, one shows a group of commandos ( I think ) in Somalia dated 12th July 1943 , and the other shows a landing taking place who knows were ? as there is no comments made about this photo. I apologise for the quality of the photos, but if any member can shed any light on the history of the photo`s it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Trevor
re Walter Newman Cornish Born 14 March 1920 died July 1964. Just been looking through my fathers war time photo`s, and there`s one that he took of four of his comrades taken in Somalia dated
12th of July 1943, Did the commandos operate in this region during that date? I also meant to add I also have a photo of troops landing on a sandy cove during WW2 but unfortunately no date or location, would it be of interest to anybody if I posted this photo?

Regards Trevor Cornish ( his son )
Just to thank you for all the information you sent me.I,m hoping to get my fathers death certificate (copy) within the next few days, and I will sent it off to the war veterans.
I also have quite a few photos taken during the war, I will look to see if he has any wearing the commando uniform. My father had quite an interesting war career, I believe from the merchant Navy, then Royal Navy were he was torpedoed on the HMS Arethusa , and in between times trained as a commando, I can remember as a youngster playing with dads knuckle duster, until my mother took it away (lol). Anyway I digress, if I find any photo`s can I sent them to you ?

Once again thanks for your help

Regards Trevor Cornish
I am trying to find out if there is any record of my fathers time in the commando unit in 1942 approx, I know he was involved in the landings at Salerno Italy, his name is Walter Newman Cornish, born 14th March 1920, and died in 1965, I appreciate that most of the solders then have died, but wondered if any war records exist of his time in this unit, in on of his photo cutting there is a picture and comment about the death of Lieutenant Commander J Milner- Gibson, I think my father may have served under him.

Any information or help where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Trevor Cornish

Forum Index » Profile for [email protected] » Messages posted by [email protected]
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger