commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Anthony Bartley
Forum Index » Profile for Anthony Bartley » Messages posted by Anthony Bartley
Thanks Nick , I look into this.
Much Appreciated...
Copy that ...

No problem ....

Thank you
Hi Nick,

First of all thank you.

Secondly that?s a lot interesting information.

As I said I couldn?t believe that he served with the Royal Marines.

Yes, can you please send on the details to contact the MOD , so I can look into getting a copy of his service records . Greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for replying at a later hour.

Fingers crossed and I will be in touch when I get more information.

Regards Anthony
Hi every one ,

I am looking into my great grandfather who i believe served with the 29th Commando Regiment Royal Artillery , Royal Marines.
A few weeks ago i was in touch with my Aunt , looking for information about relatives of mothers family who fought in the first world war. A few years before my uncle (my mothers brother) passed away, he was researching family history and mostly of his grandfather Patrick Egan.
I was informed by my Aunt, that my uncle believed that he served in the British Army and that it was one of the Artillery Units.

When i met up with my Aunt, she had a photograph of my great grandfather with her and passed it on to me. I immediately recognized the collar badges of his uniform, the Royal Marines. So i put two and two together and just to be double sure, i sent a screenshot to a good friend of mine who served with the
Royal Green Jackets and informed me that my great grandfather seemed to have been with the 29th Commando Regiment Royal Artillery.

The photograph that i have was dated 17th June 1946 and the 29th were formed in 1947.

As a former member of The 2nd Field Artillery Regiment - Irish Defence Forces , let me tell you . I was both happy and shocked to find out that my great grandfather was part of the Royal Marines

What i have found in my research is seen below , attached with the photograph.

Patrick Egan - Wife Christina Egan

Born 1896

1901 census aged 5

House no:3 Common

Sheepstown, Knocktopher Co.Kilkenny

Mother Anne Egan

Father Name not known

Moved to Stonyford Co.Kilkenny

Artillery Ranks Gunner, Sergeant then back to Corporal

Forum Index » Profile for Anthony Bartley » Messages posted by Anthony Bartley
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger