commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Andrew Sheldon
Forum Index » Profile for Andrew Sheldon » Messages posted by Andrew Sheldon
We are not aware of any illness until his death in the early 80's
Do we know if Bissell was at D day?

Nic do you know anything about S.J.BISELL. You called him Stan and sonny in an earlier post. I was just wondering.
Hi Nic we are unsure why he was in hospital. This coincides with No.6 being on leave I think from what I read briefly this morning.

My Grandfather had no visible scars or serious injuries we know of. I wonder whether it was a kind of check up or he may have been dehydrated or something similar.
Thank you for your response Nic. I am very pleased that his photo and name is now added to Commando no.6.

I will be contacting the medal office this week.

Thanks
Andrew
I think what I would like out of doing this research is to find a picture of my grandfather with his pals in the commando's. Hopefully I will.

I am holidaying in France in a few weeks and will be stopping off at Sword Beach and the Pegasus bridge.

Any help from anyone on the picture front will be amazing

Many Thanks
Andrew Sheldon
Here are the stories my dad has relayed to me:

My Grandfather said pre D Day he was on a ship below deck for 2 days possibly 3 by the look of his records waiting to ship to Normandy.

When exiting the landing craft on D Day his friend (S.J.BISELL) was injured (shot we think) and my grandfather put him back on the landing craft before heading up the beach. I think this was done quickly as he said he was first on the beach. Also he mentioned that there was a war photographer/ journalist on the Landing craft with them who was shot immediately when the front of the boat was opened. This may explain why I have found it hard to find a photograph with my grandfather on it.

He was a runner for Lord Lovatt relaying orders we think.

He was at the Pegasus bridge (not much info is known about this) I think around this time he was in a farm yard and there was a story about having to attack a tank.

He distinctly remembers a lot the commando's telling Bill Millin the piper that he should take cover. Everyone thought he was crazy.

My father remembers his father talking later on in the war having to guard prisoners of war. Some being involved in the concentration camps etc. He also had to guard houses of important people to stop them being looted.

Hi there above I have posted my Grandfathers service records.

It has been interesting looking at these.

I now know

Service number - 2064169

My grandfather started his service in the Royal Engineers then the Royal Artillery and then the Commando's.

The back page of the records shows That he was Posted to No'6 Commando as my father thought but now at least we are sure.

I was also interested to see how many times he was in and out of hospital which was quite a few.

If anyone can shed any light on the description section at the bottom of the back page feel free it will be appreciated. (I am mainly interested in the part about the commando's)

In the letter my father received it said we could contact the MOD Medal Office. This will be of interest as apparently my grandfather was not really interested in his medals and we think did not receive them or apply for them somehow? Is this possible? Also it said we can use a researcher at the imperial war museum.

What we would like to do is track Commando No.6 through to the end of the war. In the next post I have a few stories.

Back page
Front Page of John Robert Sheldon Service and Casualty form
Thanks Nick that's interesting. I'm waiting for my dad to sign the records forms at min but he is in italy. It would make sense I think that my grandfather would be in that troop as Lord lovatt used to use him as a runner. My grandfather was very fit and a fast runner. Anyway there is the possibility it is not him so I'll try and not get excited.
NIC wrote:

Incidently the group photo in which you think you can identify your grandfather isn't at Achnacarry.

Nick

I got this photo off this site

Do we know where that was taken?
Unfortunately I have no photo's of them together but I do have some stories
S.J.BISELL

My grandfathers friend in the commando's

What is the site I need to apply for his military record. There seems to be loads of sites?

Forum Index » Profile for Andrew Sheldon » Messages posted by Andrew Sheldon
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger