commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: mike winter
Forum Index » Profile for mike winter » Messages posted by mike winter
Hello Marty

If you look on line at Never More-James m Gunn it will give you some idea of what the Lovat Scouts were doing in Italy.

My father was also in Italy with the Scouts

Regards Mike Winter
Hello Nick,

Thanks for your reply. I know he did his commando training near Fort William and I believe his pay was increased by 2 shillings.

The documents are scanned copies of handwritten sheets but the system won't allow them through.

Regards Mike
Hello Nick

Thanks for your reply. These must have been taken before he became a commando. He did say he had photos that had been lost, he probably meant when his pay book was destroyed.

Is there anywhere else I can look up these dates?, it wouldn't think it would be any good going back to historical disclosures.

Thanks again Mike.
Hello Nick,

Have you had any joy regarding the cap badges.

Regards Mike
Hello Nick,

I have attached two photos, I don't know where they are from. One looks like a camp and it looks like they may have just returned from overseas. the second they are wearing their caps. Is it possible to tell from this their unit?.

Regards Mike.
Hi Nick,

All those date are taken from his service records. There is nothing from 8/11/41 to 29/4/44. I assumed his previous pay book was destroyed between these dates probably when in Sicily.
29/7/44 was disembarkation in Naples. I have photos taken whilst in RA and Lovat Scouts but nothing from Sicily, I am trying to find out what unit he was in then, I know he was a commando

Regards Mike.
My father was Walter Frank Winter, known to everyone as Frank. He was born Bristol England 1918. His service no is 1540880 and he enlisted 13/1/1940 in Taunton and was in the R.A, stationed at Cambourne, Ringwood, Weymouth.12/11/41 attached to 349hya Bty RA for rations only 6/11/41-8/11/41 for rations only.

The next date is 29/4/44 transferred to ITC11 Pinefield Camp Elgin att to Seaforths. 17/5/44 perm att to Black Watch. 5/7/44 transferred to Lovat Scouts. Embarked with Lovat Scouts 16/7/44, disembarked 29/7/44. 29 Sept 44 admitted to 31 general hospital to x2, discharged back to Lovat Scouts 21/3/44, demobbed 17/3/1946.

His service/pay book says previous destroyed.

I know he was involved in the landings in Sicily and Italy, was in Milan, Cassino, Rome,(before Gen Clarke got there, Allied personel were assisting/advising the resistance). Then Greece, Switzerland, Austria

Thanks Mike Winter

Forum Index » Profile for mike winter » Messages posted by mike winter
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger