commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Alan Chell
Forum Index » Profile for Alan Chell » Messages posted by Alan Chell
Found more names related to picture posted on 31/3/18 (3 RM Commandos)

The middle person is "Dickey" and the right is "Taffy Plaistow" (possibly brothers?) and a reference to Bruge 8/11/1944
Few more pics. I do not know the locations. There may be people who will recognise the faces and perhaps where they were.
Long time since have been looking at this Forum and thank you to everyone especially Dany L for his detailed information.
I am now compiling a family life story video, which obviously includes my Dad Charlie
As a result I have found more photographs which I shall upload to the Forum plus some photos with names on the back!
They are Harry Stone & Fred Monk on the trio picture and the duo picture with Jim Feggy (can't read this so may be slightly different)
More pics on next post
Thank you so much for this film it really puts in context where my dad was, what he was doing on D-Day
Still more research to do but this a wow moment for me
Alan
Thank you, I have purchased "It Had to be Tough" by James Dunning and willtake some time getting to understand the structure of the RM commandos
Thank you again
Thank you both for your responses.
The Pegasus site is very useful but will take a while to understand completely
I am attaching a photo of my dad and one of him with 2 comrades which may help with any identification.
I must admit I find the nomenclature very difficult to follow 42,46 commando etc. 1,2 SS bde etc., units... is there anywhere to see a diagram of the relationship between all these different groupings?
Thanks again
Alan Chell
I have my father's (Corporal Charles Frederick Victor Chell) RM commando service record and the last record on 5-6-44 (D-Day) mentions HQ 4SS Bde" followed by" HQ SS Grp" Embarked UK.

I am trying to find out which beach he would have landed on D-Day and where he went from there. He survived WW2 and did mention to me that he was in the battle for Walchren Island. Sadly he passed away 5 years ago

Further back in his service record, before D-Day, he was RM DivSigs, at Div HQ Postal Unit if this helps

I have read many books on RM commandos and D-Day without being able to find out this information and I hope someone can give me a clue where he landed and what happened after that.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who has this information or where to find it.

Thanks

Alan Chell

Forum Index » Profile for Alan Chell » Messages posted by Alan Chell
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger