commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Bob Cubitt
Forum Index » Profile for Bob Cubitt » Messages posted by Bob Cubitt
It does, but it could also be the Ardennes or the Harz Mountains, which look very similar. There are even hills like that in the south of Holland, around a town called Valkenburg (known jokingly by the locals as the Dutch Alps). When I was in the RAF I lived quite close by and there is something of a similarity. The Scottish soldier in the foreground of one of the photos suggest a British area of operations.
Three more photos discovered recently. I suspect from the image quality that they were taken by an official photographer, but the prints don't carry any ID.

From my research the armoured vehicle appears to be an American M44 armoured utility vehicle. However, according to my research, they didn't come into service until June 1945. The location isn't known.

In the first of the two photos on the M44 I think the commando in the beret on the left may be my Dad. Pvt Bob Cubitt

The commandos on the Sherman are unknown.
3 man group
L-R G Webb, Max Bacon, Eric Spears, date and location not known

Large group - Bishopstone, before Dieppe
Names not known

Fatigue party - possibly Achnacarry. Bob Cubitt on the left, others unknown.

7 man group.
Rear L-R John White, Roy North, Dyton, Ron Port
Front L-R Tupper Jennings, N/K, Charlie Webb

4 man group.
2 on the left N/K, Taffy Edwards behind James
First 3 of a group of photographs just come into my possession.

Forum Index » Profile for Bob Cubitt » Messages posted by Bob Cubitt
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger