commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: RosslynClayton
Forum Index » Profile for RosslynClayton » Messages posted by RosslynClayton
Some time ago I sort some advice about entries in my g uncle Bill?s service in the Royal Marines. I finally got around to obtaining his service record. I?m hoping some one can explain the acronyms and units listed in the his service record eg Siege Regt.

I?m trying to match up this information with what he had written in his bible. I note that there is an 18 month gap from 1941-1943. I understand Force Viper was formed early 1942. Is it possible, he was part of it?

In his bible he refers to 47 Commandos but nothing is reflected in the service record. Could it be that one of the units he served in was amalgamated with others to form the 47.

Would love to hear any theories so I can sort out the facts from family fiction.

Thanks
Thank you for this information, particularly the last article. I found it very informative.
Thank you all for these. I had found and read these but was wondering if I had missed any further information or websites.
Thanks Craig. I?ve done that but no success. I?ll have to wait for his service record.
I?m trying to find out more about my g uncle Bill who served in WWII. From a bible in his effects, I found the following addresses.

RM How (howitzer?) Battery - Norway
RM 8 B (Battalion?) El Tahaq, Egypt
RM 8B Force Overt - what was Force Overt?
47 Royal Marines Commando (Force Viper) Ceylon

I wondering if anyone could provide more information about what he would likely have been doing in these locations and what Force Overt and Viper were.

I have attached a photo which is believed to be taken in Ceylon.

Thanks
Rosslyn

Forum Index » Profile for RosslynClayton » Messages posted by RosslynClayton
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger