commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Mickmm
Forum Index » Profile for Mickmm » Messages posted by Mickmm
Thanks to you Danny and Peter Rogers, also Combined Operations web site Geoff Slee.

CWGC Roy Hemington has acknowledged the error and will correct it soon.

BZ

To the Captain in charge of 16 LCMs on D Day
Hi Pete

Those Scottish records are something....

AHN Gooding was Portsmouth
1941 temp Lt 01.01.42

1943 he is RMTGp Dalditch Acting Captain 25.08.41

1943 23rd Training Battalion No3 MG Company

Thanks again

Mick
Thank you again Pete

Lost Voices page 470-473 via Marine Stan Blacker, (book on shelf at home) gives for December 1943 -

606 Flotilla, Landing Craft (Mechanised) E Squadron, Royal Marines

Thanks again for the good start.
Pete

Thanks for the correction.

So Captain AHN Gooding RM was a member of Combined Operations?
Next time I get to the National Archives I'll look him up (if he is listed there).

Would his name appear on other monuments, 7th June 1944?

RM Eastney, Portsmouth, is that still there??

I have to focus on RM

mick
Hi Pete and Danny

BZ

Great to know a record can be corrected.

I have a book The Royal Navy Day By Day, the latest edition is more general and covers over some of the naval embarrassments listed in Edition 1 and 2. (But that's my Beef...) no reference to COPRA or HMS Copra in there (Edition 3).

I do need to send a clearer picture of the headstone as your web system said its file was to large.

I'm not knocking CWGC as they have one heck of a job to do.

So, in time, where would this gentleman appear in the roll of honour. At least he is not forgotten and I thank you both, plus unknown others, for that.

In the East Anglian/Ipswich Star/Suffolk County Council printed 'Suffolk Roll of Honour 1939-1945' (printed with the newspaper in 2016)...a tribute to the 3464 who made the ultimate sacrifice to King and country.
Has for Martlesham...
Captain Alfred Herbert Noel Gooding, Royal Marines HM Landing Craft Mechanised 606

Mick

Photo attached
Hi Danny
Not being a Booty i do not know if he was part of a particular RM unit. All i can see is his headstone at Martlesham (i did send a photobut it came up as text) . I'm just keen to know that he is remembered correctly. If he was commanding this unit then CWGC need to have the right info. Gravestone gives HMS Copra was 606 part of this?
He must of been part of the Royal Marines corp at an ealier stage.
BZ to all
CWGC headstone at Martlesham St Mary's. Buried under HMS Copra, later changed to HM LCM 606 (some records show this vessel was lost in the Med) so 'A' landing craft to do with capture of Port-en-Bessin by 47 Commando, RM ?

photo attached of headstone in churchyard

Forum Index » Profile for Mickmm » Messages posted by Mickmm
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger