commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: M.Almekinders
Forum Index » Profile for M.Almekinders » Messages posted by M.Almekinders
My grandfather was a dutch royal marine in ww2.

His name was Leendert Almekinders, birth date 10-10-1912.

When ww2 started and the Germans invaded the Netherlands he escaped to the UK.He served on several Dutch naval vessels operating from UK harbours.

On his funeral in 2000 a British Royal Marine veteran visited us and told us that my grandfather also trained and fought in ww2 as a British Royal Marine (my grandmother was British, maybe that's why he was allowed to serve in a British unit?).

Now, years later, I am trying to find out everything there is to find out about his career during ww2. I asked for, and received his Dutch service records but on these there are only records of his career related to Dutch ships and locations.

We found a Royal Marine baret and a pin of the Royal Marine association in his personal affects and now I hope you might have a record about him.

I am looking for any information you might have about him that can increase our knowledge about his war career. Where and when did he train and fight and in which unit was he placed.

Also if you have any advice for me on how to request any British service records that might exist of him please let me know!

If this is not the right address for my questions please advice me on the proper address and/or forward these questions there.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Best regards,

Forum Index » Profile for M.Almekinders » Messages posted by M.Almekinders
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger