commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Jackie Read
Forum Index » Profile for Jackie Read » Messages posted by Jackie Read
That's a great idea, Pete. I'll do that.

Best wishes

Jackie
Thank you, Nick. I really appreciate all your help and for making Ted's letters available to us. We will treasure them
Picture attached of Edward Albert Pitt No 40 RM Commando, aged 22 years
That is wonderful, Julie - well done!

My Mother had a long chat with her second cousin this afternoon and it seems that Mr and Mrs Edwards lived a few doors away from Ted's father and new step-mother when they returned from America. We are told that Ted (and his brothers and sisters) weren't made to feel welcome in their new home and that Ted (being the youngest) became very close to Mrs Edwards. Judging from his letters, it seems she adopted him. I am particularly interested in this because, given that my grandfather was only one year older than Ted, I wonder if he too lived with Mrs Edwards. We know very little about my grandfather as he died when my mother was only 8. Thank you so much for your help - I will try and find Mollie.

I have a lovely photo of Ted for your website. Where would you like me to send it?
I guess that's possible, Nick. It seems to me that we need to find Mary!
Another twist is that, when Ted died, he left his money to his sister-in-law (my grandmother). It seems odd to have done that if he had an adopted family. Plus my grandfather was only 1 year older than Ted and my Mother thinks she would have known if her father had been adopted. As far as we know, the older siblings looked after the younger ones when they returned from America.

We believe Ted volunteered for the Commandos after receiving a 'Dear John' letter and wonder whether it might be possible that Mrs Edwards was his girlfriend/fiancée's mother. Just a thought...
Thanks Guy. I wonder why Ted calls her 'mother.' Do you know if there are any other letters?
Hi Nick

It looks as though Edward (Ted) Pitt was my grandfather's brother. His real mother (Annie Matilda) died in Detroit in 1927 and Ted returned to England soon after with his father (Fred) and siblings (including my grandfather, Richard, and Bill, who is mentioned in one of Ted's letters). We understand that Ted's Father remarried and that the children were not welcomed by their step-mother. I have no idea who Mrs Edwards was but I imagine she looked after them in some way. I would love to know more!!

My Mother's second-cousin, Brian, has done some fantastic research into our family history. We also have photos of Ted that I would like to share with you but I need to check with Brian first. So... more to come (hopefully).

Jackie
Hi

The newspaper article posted on your website states that Edward Pitt's parents were Fred and Matilda Pitt. Do you know where this information came from? I believe I might be related to Edward but there are a few things that don't make sense to me. Can anyone provide more details?

Many thanks

Jackie

Forum Index » Profile for Jackie Read » Messages posted by Jackie Read
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger