commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: D Bond
Forum Index » Profile for D Bond » Messages posted by D Bond
Hi Stu

If the 4/43 is April 1943 it's possible that this group photo was taken in or around the Eglinton Commando Training Camp in Ayrshire Scotland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eglinton_Castle The Commandos would have billeted in peoples homes in towns such as Kilwinning around the camp.

Based on my research into Wilfred a couple of months later on 28th June 40 Commandos left the Firth of Clyde on LSI L Derbyshire (Landing Ship Infantry - Large) with convoy Convoy KMF-18 bound for the Allied invasion of Sicily in Operation Husky.

Duncan
Hi have sent a message to Wilfred's Grandson to see if agrees with me on the photo.

To find Ernest Millward's Military records you will need a copy of his death certificate and to fill in the form found by following the link below (make sure you use the UK Government site and not a third party one). Close family should be able to obtain records for free. You need to provide as much information as you can i.e. was in 40 Commando Mortar/Heavy Weapons Troop in WW2 any dates you have etc inc birth date. You may get a page or so or if you are lucky as in Wilfred's case 50 pages plus.

Accessing Military Service Records (Royal Marine)
Note: A copy of a death certificate is required to access military service records and full records are available only to close family members until 25 years after a serviceperson?s death.
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records
Hi
Not sure but the Sergeant 2nd from Right on the Front Row may be Wilfred Bond who was in 40 Commando from the beginning. I know he took a Mortar Course before the Commando was formed, sadly he passed away in 1985. I will seek a second opinion on the photo from his direct family.

Just to formally add an Obituary for Wilfred John Bond 1911 -1985

1911 Born in Tibenham Norfolk.
1930 Signed up fot the Royal Marines in London with the Chatham Division (CH/X697). On RN ships as a gunner for the first 10 years of service including HMS Dragon and HMS Ajax.
1939 Fought at the Battle of the River Plate on HMS Ajax on 13th December and was wounded in the leg. Left HMS Ajax when she returned to the UK in 1940 and volunteered to join 1/101st RM Brigade.
1940 Involved in Operation Menace the unsuccessful operation to Capture Dakar as a Corporal.
1942 Wilfred volunteered for A Commando and took part in Operation Jubilee the Dieppe Raid., A Commando then became 40 Commando.
1943 Sergeant Wilfred Bond 40 Commando takes part in Operation Husky, the Invasion of Sicily Assulting the beach head (LHS of Sugar Beach) and fights across the island.
1943 40 Commando takes part in Operation Ferdy with an opposed landing at Porto San Venere ("Benere").
1943 With 40 Commando takes part in Operation Devon with an opposed landing at Termoli, This is a hard fought campaign.
1943 Hospitalised with "Shell Shock" directly after the battles at Termoli Wifred spends about 8 months in hospitals.
1944 Wilfred joins Holding Operational Commando in Wales and reaches the rank of Company Sergeant Major (CSM) until the end of the war
1946 With Royal Marines after the disbanding of the RM Commando units Wilfred is part of the Allied Occupation of Trieste.
1952 Wilfred retires after 22 Years service at Deal Barracks with the rank of Sergeant.
1984 Wilfred Bond dies on the 5th of February.

BOND Wilfred John Sgt/CSM 101RMB, A RM, 40 RM, HOC 1984-02-05

CVA Note: Nick Collins has seen the RM Records for Wilfred. A photo is available but permission will need to be obtained from direct family.
Looking for information on Wilfred Bond. He was born circa1919 in Norfolk and became a commando in WW2.

Initially he served on HMS Ajax as a Marine rating probably an anti aircraft gunner on her first war patrol that included the Battle of the River Plate before sometime later joining the Commandos, Wilfred was possibly involved with beach reconnasance missions and married in Scotland probably locally to one of the Commando training facilities. The Norfolk family lost touch over time. Any information would be welcome. Though his name is recorded on the memorial wall at Ajax, Ontario, Canada I have not been able to find other records.

Forum Index » Profile for D Bond » Messages posted by D Bond
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger