commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Eileen Turner
Forum Index » Profile for Eileen Turner » Messages posted by Eileen Turner
My father, Cpl Herbert Squire was in the Royal Marines in WW2 PLY/x 101267(T). A.S. Group 30. He never discussed his time in the war except in very general times suggesting that he had not seen any action! There is so much that I could have asked if I had known and only found all this information when the family home was cleared out and put up for sale.

He enlisted to be at Lympstone on 16th Sep 1940 and served in The Eighth Army in North Africa and in the Sicily invasion beach landings (with bayonets drawn, so I am told) I know that he was with MNBDOll and travelled to West Africa and Cape Town before arriving in Egypt. he was also on Malta for a time. He was awarded, but did not claim, the medals for The North African Campaign and The Italian Campaign.

He also saved a form of ticket from the ship Royal Albert which showed his name and ''No Watch.

I have read much of the book 'By Sea and Land' - a history of the Royal Marine Commandos and this covers the MNBDOll in WW2. I have boxes full of memorabilia which my father had saved from the war from all the countries he had visited. I also have his uniform. An Iron Cross, A picture of Hitler in mint condition and various State and Crown messages to the troops in the Eighth Army. Also a booklet ' The Soldiers Guide to Sicily 1943'

He was given a New Testament and a postcard with a photograph of his pal on it. The New Testament is inscribed

''To my friend and comrade Cpl. H Squire Royal Marines, from Cpl Chas Spencer.
Augusta 12th July 1943''

I know that this is the date when the Eighth Army reached Augusta so they must have been grateful to have arrived there in one piece.

I also have documents to show that dad was in the 20th Beach Group in Catania Dec 1943 after spending several weeksin hospital with malaria and jaundice. Another booket is stamped %th (Indep) RM. Armd. Sp BTY 16th April 1944.

I am confused regarding the difference between th 5th Armd Support Battery, as mentioned above, and the 5th RM Anti Aircraft Brigade, which I think he was also in and they served in the defence of the Schelt Estuary and River Orne in 1944 according to 'By Sea and Land' in the early autmn of 1944. Dad also had a printed flyer from Dwight Eisenhower which was issued to all the troops in the Allied Expeditionary Force 1944 just prior to the D Day Landings. Could he have taken part in this as well? His servive records also mention L.U.C.C.A Could this be anything to do with Landing Craft. He was a Fitter by trade in the forces.

I have so many questions that remain unanswered I would be so grateful if anyone can throw light on my queries. Lastly, as the MNBDOll is covered in the book 'By Sea and Land', a history of the Royal Marines, does this mean that dad was classed a s a commando please?

Many Thanks for anyone's comments

Eileen Turner

Forum Index » Profile for Eileen Turner » Messages posted by Eileen Turner
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger