commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Elizabeth smith
Forum Index » Profile for Elizabeth smith » Messages posted by Elizabeth smith
Is there a list of names of people who were staff at STC Lochailort. Would it be in the national archives
Thanks mark for typing this up and sending the link Brilliant
Thanks Paul. That's very helpful. I'm hopefully getting the book out of the library. Is there a list of people who worked there available somewhere. He was a groom before joining the army in 1939, I wonder if he was looking after animals at STC ......... Elizabeth.
Is there a way I can find a list of soldiers who were on an operation to the Lofoten Islands in March 1941. I'm still trying to find out what my father was doing at STC lochailort in 1940/1941 Trying anything now.
Thanks eileen
Hi Pete, Phil and Eileen. Thank you all for your responses, it's very much appreciated. I am very new to this forum and not sure if I'm using it correctly. Pete, dads records do not state any particular attributes or skills except he was a driver mechanic when the war ended. Phil, thanks for the extra information, I'm going to Kew in the next few months to look at the records and to try and find more information. Dad went to Europe after d day and I want to try and understand where he went and what he was doing for the next year and a half. I'm still at a loss to understand what he did while at Lochailort and not sure how to find out now !! Any suggestions from any of you where I can look now Eileen what is the significance of the two places you have quoted in Scotland.

Thank you all. Elizabeth

P S thanks Pete for the link and pictures. Brilliant !!
Hi Pete thanks for your quick response. My fathers name was Maurice James Robert Webb. Born 10 March 1919. His number was 6289259. Before he went to lochailort he was at Aldershot in the 20 br queens royal regiment. He was a private. When he left Lochailort on 15.7 41 he was posted to reinforcements pool ITC The Buffs Canterbury then joined the 5th Buffs at Canterbury. While at Lochailort he was made a Lance corporal but went relinquished his appointment on 25.5.41 on ceasing to fill a vacancy. Don't know what this means. I know he was training in lochailort at some point as he used to run up the water pipe behind Ben Nevin distillery. My uncle thought he was with the commandos at some point but we have no evidence of that He also thought dad went to a Norway island called Lofoten but again we have no evidence. Any information you can provide would be great. I might find he just drove people around up there !!! 😀
My father was stationed at lochailort for a year acccording to his service record. What would he have been doing there for a year from June 1940 until June 1941

Forum Index » Profile for Elizabeth smith » Messages posted by Elizabeth smith
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger