commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: DalditchDiscoverer
Forum Index » Profile for DalditchDiscoverer » Messages posted by DalditchDiscoverer
Hi Chaps,

Long time no type!
Just a quick update, really. :)

I have got my book published on the camp, also with all the various objects I have found on the site, and have been pleasantly surprised with the amount if interest.
Since it's publication, I have recently given the Dalditch camp knowledge I have gathered an online presence with a website, and even a Facebook group with regular updates (Just search 'Dalditch Camp').

https://wartimedalditchcamp.wordpress.com/

Which I hope might be of interest and useful for research.

Best regards,

Simon
Don't know whether you ventured slightly outside of Dalditch? There's what I call 'The Bunker' near to an area that was a grenade range area (A small building further away is still being used for live fire grenade practices, I don't look for artefacts there for obvious UXO and byelaw reasons!). It is still partly accessable, any idea what it was used for? I'm guessing it's an ammo storage area.

Regards,

Simon
Many thanks for the reply and information, Mark.

Thanks for your interest in my book, it has become a labour of love in the past 18 months! I'm doing it to document and preserve the history and of artefacts found there - As too many 'scrappers' wonder around the area :(. It's very nice to have a family connection to Dalditch, unfortunately, none of my relatives were ever there, all were other branches of the service.

That is such a sad story about Lt Richard Michael Griffiths. Never known of a fatality to happen at Dalditch, A PM copy of the war diary would be great. I live in Exmouth, so east Budleigh churchyard is almost literally just around the corner from me.

I like looking around the Butts of the rifle range, as you mentioned. Still lots of copper jackets from the .303's dotted around there. Just wanted to add a couple of pictures of my own to the thread.
I recently came across a climbing wall, which I had no idea was there (Or I forgotten!). Love 'Before and after' photo's.

Regards,

Simon
Hi,

Interesting thread, Markh.

I have been visiting the site since I was a little man. I live about 5 miles from the camp ruins and make visits frequently and have found it all very fascinating from a young age, .
I'm doing some research into Dalditch camp, I just wondered if you (or anyone reading this thread) might have any information on the camp. I am in the process of compiling a book about it, mostly containing wartime artefacts that I have found on Woodbury common, which I have researched, as to what they were and where they were made etc. I have already been in contact with Exeter Flotilla which has given me permission to use wartime photo's of the camp in my book (I have mentioned the organisation on the acknowledgement page), any more photographs of Dalditch camp and any information would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to have my book published in the near future, as it will be a lasting record of local history in East Devon, and to document the artefacts found from the site.

Many thanks,

Simon

Forum Index » Profile for DalditchDiscoverer » Messages posted by DalditchDiscoverer
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger