commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Hazman
Forum Index » Profile for Hazman » Messages posted by Hazman
Thank You Bill,

This may help a lot....very much appreciated.
I look forward to her email address.

Harry Jones
Hello Pete,

Its now 2018 and I've stumbled back into the forum using an old link.
I now see your post, and am kicking myself, as I did not know about this post from Vincent.
Thank you so much for posting this here.!! Otherwise I would be none the wiser.
As it is, the post from Vincent is over 2 years old, and I have replied on the Navy-net.co.uk forum, but no response as yet.
I hope he has not passed away, as he would be 72 now.

I have tried to register on the OAMAAM site to see if I can trace him there (the lads at Navy-net.co.uk suggested this)
But I was rejected by the moderator.

Here's hoping he can get in touch somehow.

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention....it may be a huge step for both of us if there is a linkage.

Cheers mate
Harry Jones
Thank you for your kind response Nick. It is sincerely appreciated..
I have read something similar to your outline, after looking at various wiki pages, and it is a tribute to the men who served in 47 Cmdo.
Make no mistake, they were up against it...but in the end prevailed, with loses of good young men and officers.

I guess though, that what I really need is a researcher, who can pursue this for me in depth.
I have been fortunate enough to chat with a gentleman from Holland who is webmaster for the Veterans of 47 Cmdo - Marc de Bolster.
He has been most kind and helpful...and seemed blown away when I sent him some of my fathers war records.
He said he had rarely seen anything like this. And that would make sense, as apart from the vets themselves, few would get access to the actual records.
There is much I need to work through, and several address's where I need to send mail with research requests.
It will be slow...but hopefully fruitful.
It seems that once he enlists in 47 Cmdo, he vanishes....and only re-appears after 1946.
So there must be some other records held somewhere else. Though I understand it was wartime, so they may be scant.

Thank you again Nick
Thank you for taking the time to reply
God bless.
Harrry Jones

Hello Sirs,

My father was Thomas Jones (PLY/X2717) and he served in the RN as a Royal Marine from 1938 to 1943 on HMS Dorsetshire, until it was sunk.
He has then served on HMS Devonshire, before signing up with 47 Commando.
I have all his navy records, but I do not know where he served in the commando service.

He has a medal list that includes the France and Germany Rosette, that goes on the Atlantis Star medal.
He has 6 medals from WW2 - 1939-45, Atlantic, Africa, Burma, Defence, War medal
He was a corporal, and at one point possibly an acting Sargent.
I have his application for special leave in 1947 , which includes a mention of 6 months duty in France and Germany with 47 Commando.
How do I find out his commando exploits, and where he served between Dec 1944 and May 1945.?

Any help would be very much appreciated.....Thank you Gents

Thomas Jones's only son - Harry Jones.

Forum Index » Profile for Hazman » Messages posted by Hazman
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger