commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: geoffmurray1
Forum Index » Profile for geoffmurray1 » Messages posted by geoffmurray1
"Don't be sad, you lot!" I can imagine Scotty shout down to us from the Pearly Gates as he is reunited with his Commando pals! He was the most 'glass half full' man I have ever had the honour and pleasure to meet and rather than be sad I'm taking time out to cherish and celebrate the awesome memories that I have of being his friend and of the times that I have been in his presence. Always full of life and positivity, how he found the energy during our big CVA events and trips out, I still cannot comprehend - he was a machine! He gave and never ever counted the cost, and then gave some more. He epitomised Commando Spirit and was the absolute backbone of the CVA, and although he knew he was getting old and more tired as the years went by, he was always there, at every turn, leading from the front as a great Chairman does. He was more than a Chairman though - he was a mentor, he was an inspiration, he was a true friend, he was an oracle of Commando facts, he was a father, grandfather and loving husband to our lovely Pam, he was an honest, to the point, take-no-bullshit leader who shared Vic Ralph's vision of where the CVA should go and who dedicated his later life to ensure that it got there. He was simply a wonderful man and he was our pal Scotty....a true Commando legend who we could never thank enough for his dedicated service to the Commando fraternity. He will be forever in our hearts and he will never be forgotten. Rest in peace Scotty - we love you and we miss you already! Thank you and God bless. Our hearts and thoughts are with Pam and your family. Much love from Geoff, Claudia, Josh and Jack. xxx
The work on the Roll of Honour walls by the team at Anwick Forge can be seen here.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/National+Arboretum/Army/Working+on+the+Memorial+Wall/
Funeral details as follows:

Funeral will be held on Friday 21st June at 1530hrs.

Venue:

Southampton Crematorium
Bassett Green Road
SO16 3QB

A wake will follow at the Archers Club
32 Archers Road
Southampton, SO15 2LT.

All welcome.

Rest in peace Mike.
Nick & Sue,

Your'e a pair of diamonds!!!!!

A big sloppy kiss awaits you at Alrewas (from Fred!). ;-]

See you soon.

Geoff

Thanks to Amanda also.

ps. Walls being installed during the week of 24-28 June.
It is with much sadness that we inform of the passing of Mike Keelor (former 383 Cdo(V)) who passed away on Saturday 8 June aged 67 years.

Mike was a keen member of the CVA and the brother of Gerry Keelor (CVA Committee).

Our thoughts are with his partner Chrissey and his son Gary and family.

We will inform of funeral details in due course.

Rest in peace Mike.
Sir:

Attached is a photograph of GEORGE M. CAPPER, The Black Watch RHR, who was my uncle and joined the Commandos, possibly in 1940 through 1942?, until he returned to his Regiment and participated in the Chindit campaign in Burma. I believe he was a member of the 11 Scottish Commando during this period and could have been at the Litani River mission and in Operation Flipper as part of Layforce. I believe he might have been on Talisman since, if he in effect was there, he must have been among those unable to land, as he was not captured or killed and was not, of course, one of the only three known survivors.

I would very much appreciate your confirming the above stated facts and the sharing of any information you may have on his service. I would be happy to make a contributon to the CVT to cover the cost of of this enquiry and, if any photographs or documents should be available, to pay for their copies.

Thank you very much for your assistance and my best wishes to all survivors of those epic days.

George Franco
[email protected]
Harry's funeral details are as follows:

Friday 24 May 2013

Depart home at 14.45 for the City of London Cemetery & Crematorium at Aldersbrook
Aldersbrook Road
Manor Park
London
E12 5DQ

Service commences at 15.30.

Wake will follow at the Red House (approx 3 miles), on Redbridge Roundabout, IG4 5BG

All welcome throughout.

Regards
Very sad news indeed.

Harry was a true Commando and a huge supporter of the Commando Association and later the Commando Veterans Association. He gave our founder Vic Ralph much support in the early days of the CVA and along with his dear wife Pam attended most events. Harry will be missed in Fort William.

Our thoughts are with Pam and family.

Rest in peace Harry.
Thanks again to John and also Mark.

Payment received - AUCTION CLOSED
Thanks again to everyone....

Payment received...auction closed .
An interesting fact:

CY/1381, Panayis Liassi Georghi VRONDI, of the Cyprus Regiment, was killed on Christmas Day in 1940, while serving with 51 ME Commando in North Africa.

Although details of his death are unknown, I have him listed as possibly the first Commando to be actually killed in action.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2114366/VRONDI,%20PANAYIS%20LIASSI%20GEORGHI
Ronnie was a wonderful man and very active within the Commando Association. His lovely wife Betty, living in New Zealand, is an associate member of the CVA. One of Ronnie's aspirations was to have a memorial wall erected at the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge listing all of the names of the Commandos that were killed during WW2, unfortunately it never came to fruition due to certain reasons. However it was largely due to Ronnie that I was inspired to have the Commando Memorial Wall added to the Army Commando Memorial Wall at Alrewas, listing over 1200 names, to be unveiled on Sunday 30 June 2013.

Rest in Peace Ronnie

We will remember them
Phil,

Welcome to the CVA forum.

I have the details of a George Price, formerly Cheshire Regt, however he was killed in Normandy.

4127619 L/Sgt Price George Cheshire Regt No 6 Cdo KIA Normandy 10.6.44

Hope this is of use and good luck with your research.

Regards

Geoff
English through and through Cobber!!! )

For those not booked for dinner at the Lea Marston on Saturday evening please do not be shy! Once the meal has finished please join us for a catch up and dance (!) in the main hall.

Look forward to seeing you all in June.

Best wishes

Geoff
Who's Stephane? :shock:

Forum Index » Profile for geoffmurray1 » Messages posted by geoffmurray1
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger