commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Bill Harvey
Forum Index » Profile for Bill Harvey » Messages posted by Bill Harvey
It was 452 battery 1st Mountain Regiment that landed behind No 4 Army Commando at Flushing. Bill
I was trying to remember the name of a book about the Mountain gunners who landed behind my Dad's Commando, No4 Army Commando, in Flushing. Ironic that they trained a unit to fight in the mountains and sent them to Holland.
Best wishes in your search.

Bill
Was just doing a trawl through items. Why not put the pieces in the West Highland Museum in Fort William.

Bill
Hazel

Sending you a PM with the email of someone to contact.

Best wishes. Bill
Hazel

I have the names of those French Commando who were killed in action when fighting alongside their comrades in No 4. He is not on the list.

Best wishes Bill Harvey
Dear Geoff

Can you pass on our thoughts to Fiona. I knew her Dad well.

Bill Harvey
We remember them all.
Many thanks Stephane.

The Spean Bridge memorial was busy today many tourists. I waited till they had taken their pictures and then went forward to the memorial with the Roll of Honour for those of No4 Commando killed in action in Dieppe. I have put the Roll of Honour, an explantion on No4's action and the poem The Fighting Fourth in the memorial garden. I felt close to those in Dieppe when I remembered those heros from No4 and all the other Commandos at the memorial. We will remember them. Bill Harvey
The Spean Bridge memorial was busy today many tourists. I waited till they had taken their pictures and then went forward to the memorial with the Roll of Honour for those of No4 Commando killed in action in Dieppe. I have put the Roll of Honour, an explantion on No4's action and the poem The Fighting Fourth in the memorial garden. I felt close to those in Dieppe when I remembered those heros from No4 and all the other Commandos. We will remember them. Bill Harvey
Roll of Honour Dieppe 19 August 1942 No4 Commando

L/Cpl. L. Bishop. Somerset Light Infantry.
Pte. W.O. Garthwaite. The Loyal Regiment. (North Lancs.)
L/Cpl. F.M. Gooch. The East Surrey Regiment.
L/Cpl. E.P.H. Heckman The Royal Berkshire Regiment.
L/Cpl. J. Keenan. The Royal Ulster Rifles.
Lieut. J.A. MacDonald. 1st Royal Dragoons. (R.A.C.)
Pte. S. McGann. The South Lancashire Regiment.
L/Cpl. D.T. Mercer. The Kings Regiment (Liverpool.)
L/Cpl. A. Mills. The South Lancashire Regiment.
L/Cpl. J. Moss. The Loyal Regiment. (North Lancs.)
Capt. R.G. Pettiward. The Beds & Herts. Regiment.
Pte. G.H. Sutton. The East Yorkshire Regiment.
Sigmn. G.A. Tucker. The Royal Corps. of Signals.
Rfn. J. Watters. The Royal Ulster Rifles.
L/Cpl. J. Whatley. The Oxford & Bucks. Lt. Infantry.
Gdsm. J. Whittaker. Grenadier Guards.
Hi Julia

Oliver beat me to it I am sitting looking at Dad's name in th Dieppe list it is Somers in the list. My Dad was at Dieppe. There were 13 Dead and 40 wounded or missing on the raid.

Norway would have been Lofoton.

Best wishes

Bill Harvey
Jack

The date in September 1942 is correct my Mum wrote it on the back of the photo. That is when other ranks got there beret. The officers did not get their beret till a later date. It is taken in Barassie Street School playground in Troon. A troop photo was taken the same date and that is the photo you will see on the left. They also had a letter from the King read to them that day. It was after No4's success at Dieppe 19 August 1942.
Best wishes.

Bill
Hi Doug

NIC and Pete may have an better idea. Troop diaries tend to be the best bet and I cannot remember if they are held at the Army Museum or IWM.

Best wishes.

Bill
I am back from Arran. I am sure they have something in the archive of the museum there on officers. Would be worth contacting Tom MacLeod [email protected] The Isle of Arran have a long history with No11 Commando.

Best wishes.

Bill

Forum Index » Profile for Bill Harvey » Messages posted by Bill Harvey
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger