commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Vectis
Forum Index » Profile for Vectis » Messages posted by Vectis
Hi Simon,
My father Lt Joe CC Pagnam was part of the SBS II group that landed at Oran, Nov. 1942. Maj. Lunn was also part of that 11 man group. He would certainly have known my father very well. As you can see from my earlier post, I was planning and organizing an 80th memorial at Oran itself. However I was only able to contact the daughter of the SBS Commander Harry Holden-White. So it would have just been us, and my wife thought is just wasn't worth it. Also, we live in Virginia and it would have been too expensive. I have extensive data and info on Oran. So much, I am still planning a book. I would love to hear anything you have on Maj. Lunn, and I could add that to my files. It is great to hear from you!
Pete, so good to hear from a kindred spirit. I am familiar with the page for my father, and I can send you a much better picture. I do not see your e-mail. Mine is [email protected]. Let me know.
I will contact Peter Oxley regarding relatives. I am making progress, but of course all 2 SBS are dead. I will also send you DOB and death for my father.
I hope not to repeat myself, but we are organizing the 80th Anniversary Memorial for 2 SBS as part of the Oran Landing.
Of the 11 men, my father Lt. JCC Pagnam is covered. Also commander Capt. "Harry" Holden-White. I am in communication with his daughter Harriet.
It is very important to me that I can contact descendants of the remaining 9.
I then wish to invite them to the Memorial which will be in Oran, Algeria.

Of the 11, the only casualty was sadly, Sgt. Embelin. The rest survived.

If you have any information it would mean a lot to me to find out. Or indeed, if you know of other such forums / resources as to where I might look.
The remaining 9 2 SBS are below:

Lt. E J A Lunn
Sgt. J Embelin
Sgt. A Milne
Cpl D C Ellis
Cpl Sidlow
Cpl Wright
Cpl Blewett
Cpl Loadsby
Cpl. L Bates

I am arranging a memorial service (Oran, Nov 2022) for SBS 2 who were involved in the Oran landing, 1942. I would like to invite descendants of the 11 brave men who were there.
Does anyone know how I could contact the family of "Sally" Lunn? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Oh yes. My father gave me that book a number of years ago.
I didn't think of looking.
In any case, it is good to connect to others via this Forum.

Thanks again.
Dear Alan,
Thank you so much, all 11 persons and exactly what I needed.
I did know about the repatriation via Gibraltar.

I am writing a book about the landing, as my father was involved. So I have a lot of information about him, Holden-White, and currently researching the remainder.

How did you come about the names? If you don't mind me asking.
I just wondered if you had some kind of connection.

You can e-mail me at [email protected] if you would prefer.
Either way, doesn't bother me.

Joe
I am planning a memorial on the 80th anniversary of the Oran landing by SBS 2.
The team consisted of 11, including my father Lt. JCC Pagnam, and Commander Capt. Harry Holden-White.
I am trying to ascertain the remaining members. If you can help, please let me know. Also, if you know of any living descendants I might contact.
This would mean a great deal to me.
Thank you!
I hope you might be able to help me. I have been unable to contact the Petworth Historical Society.
I am researching the WWII career of my father Captain Joe Colin Pagnam. He was a member of the SBS 2.
I have information about his active service, but not his clerical duties later in the War.
Recently, I was contacted by someone who found a letter addressed to my father below the floorboards of the Old School House, Duncton.
They told me the house in 1944 was an HQ for the "Special Services".
I do see that the Commandos had a connection to the locality Lavington Park, but I have been unable to find specific information on the Old School House.
Does anyone have knowledge about the role of the Old School House? I would greatly appreciate it.

I have copied below text from a post by Nick that partially answers my request. However, it does not make mention of the Old School House.
I wondering if my father was based at the Seaford College and billeted at the Old School House.

From Nick:
Looking through some old copies of the Commando Association Newsletter recently, I came across mention of Lavington Park near Petworth, Sussex. These days it is the home of Seaford College
Lavington Park served as HQ Commando Group from April 1944 until Spring 1946 and, to commemorate its association with the Commandos, a Commemorative Plaque was commissioned and placed in the Seaford College Chapel (previously Woolavington Church) in 1988.
The dedication took place during a service in the Chapel on 27 November 1988
I am doing a presentation for my Rotary Club on Operation Reservist - the Nov. 6th 1942 Allied landing at Oran. No. 2 SBS were involved with the Americans. My father Lt. J.C.C. Pagnam survived the attack but was captured by the Vichy French and subsequently freed by the Americans two days later.
Does anyone here have any information about my father (he passed away in 2005)? Anything would help as my presentation is next week. Also, if you know of anyone who was involved with Reservist or having second hand information that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you and thank you for your service!
Joe Pagnam,
Lexington VA

Forum Index » Profile for Vectis » Messages posted by Vectis
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger