commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: allychat
Forum Index » Profile for allychat » Messages posted by allychat
I agree with you. There should be a commando medal in recognition of the bravery and courage shown in fighting for their country. My father fought in the 45 Commando's and was wounded in France and had quite horrific shrapnel damage to his body - but that is all I know. He would never speak about what happened - it must have been too horrible. I know he was dismayed at the lack of recognition the Commando's got and gave his medals away in disgust. I wish I had been older so that I couldve asked him what happened - he told me a few things that were awful but never spoke about it again. I would love to find out more about what he did and where he fought. His name was Private John McKay from Glasgow and he trained up north with Lord Lovat - that's all I know. But it saddens me that for all they gave their country - they got no recognition back. I would appreciate any information on how I can trace 45 commando's and his background. Thanks
A really interesting article. Did anyone know my dad John McKay from Glasgow, who was in 45 Commando during WW2? He was wounded in France but I dont know a lot about what happened. He trained up North in Scotland under Lord Lovat

thanks

allychat
Hi

My father served with the 45th Commando during WWII and I was wondering if anyone knew him and could tell me details of how he was wounded. His name was Private John McKay, and he trained under Lord Lovat. He was shot in the ankle and the elbow while in France. He would be 85 years old now, but died in 1987. He served when he was 19 till 24 years old. Can anyone give me any info on him. Thanks

Forum Index » Profile for allychat » Messages posted by allychat
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger