commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: John Gossage
Forum Index » Profile for John Gossage » Messages posted by John Gossage

It appears, in my enthusiasm, that I have largely duplicated my earlier request in Nov 2014. So please let me have any additional info that may have come to light.

Also, are you interested in a copy of the recording he made following Operation Archery?

With apologies for taking up your time.

John Gossage

My uncle, service no 326315, served in No3 Commando (Royal Welch Fusiliers) and was killed in Brachterbeek, Holland on 23 Jan 1945. I believe he took part in Operation Archery 27 Dec 1941 as I have a recording he made following the raid.(a comment in your files under Leighton seems to cross refer to this). I also believe he served in Italy where He recommended one of his troop for a distinguished medal (from my late mother)?

I would be interested to see what information and campaign records you have of him.

This request has been brought forward following a contact from the village of Brachterbeek who, we understand, wish to raise a memorial to him (and another) and hold a commemoration there in Jan 2020 (75th anniversary). They have asked for some information in addition to that that I hold.

Thanks for your help. At least I have some time.

John Gossage
I am trying to gather some information on my uncle, Jack Hutchings No3 Commando, service no. 326315, killed 23.1.45 and buried at Mook War Cemetery, Holland. His regiment was The Royal Welch Fusiliers which he joined early in ww2. He appears to have transferred to No3 Commando shortly after as he took part in Operation Archery, Vaagso on 27 Dec 1941. We know this as he made a 78 recording of the operation of which we have a copy.

We also know that he was in Italy or Sicily but have no specific information.

We go as a family group to visit Mook Cemetery to commemorate the 70th anniversary of his death.

Would be interested if anyone has further information, including his war service record.

Many thanks

Forum Index » Profile for John Gossage » Messages posted by John Gossage
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger