commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: JWJSON
Forum Index » Profile for JWJSON » Messages posted by JWJSON
According to his service record he was only in Burma in 1945. The medals are arranged in the photo in no particular order. Thanks for your info on the medals, we always appreciate hearing from others who are more familiar with the WW2 RM history.

NIC wrote:Hi,
Judging by the 3 medal ribbon group in the first photo of his badges etc., I would say that he got his Burma medal from his being in Ceylon earlier in the War, as a RM, and not his time in Burma, as a RM Cdo, (as he'd already qualified & received the Star).

The 3 medal group (which is upside down in the photo) should read 39-45 Star, Burma Star, Defence Medal.

I'm assuming that his time in France/Germany came after Ceylon - which would account for why he has the Burma Star but not the France-Germany Star in the 3 medal group.

Stars take precedence over the two medals and are worn in order of qualification.
Therefore, as he was, subsequently, awarded more medals, I believe (and stand to be corrected) the order they should be worn/displayed is:

39-45 Star, Burma Star, France-Germany Star, Defence Medal, War Medal

Nick
His record shows he received these medals. Left to Right> Defense Medal, War Medal 1939-45, 1939-1945 Star, France and Germany Star, Burma Star.
1939 Photo. 353 Kings Squad? Not sure how this fits into the RM groups.
Another picture from HMS Dolphin posting. Third in line.
Here is the card that ID's him as 45 Cdo. As an additional note dad was also awarded the Burma star. His record clearly indicated he served in Burma and the 1938 card review missed this fact.
Service record obtained... Yes indeed a 45 Cdo as of Aug 1, 1943 - Dec 11, 1946. Was on ships to Sri KLanka, Burma. One C.O. was W. Roberts. He was also listed on the HMS Chinthe, Dolphin and High flyer throughout 45-46.
Hi Pete, I have indeed sent for his service record. Attached is a pic of his flashes found in his estate belongings along with his discharge papers and diary sheets.

Alex
Here is a pic I found of his unit. His unit was in burma in 45 according to his diary. Perhaps someone recognizes others in this photo as well. I believe it is an early picture of his group, circa 1940
Hi All, Sorry for the repost in this forum which is probably the best one for this..

My Father was John William James Green, he was 45 Cdo by 1947, joined in 1939. Attached is a pic. Has anyone any info on him, other pics of the unit??
Hi All, I am looking for any info on my father, John W Green who in the mid 40's was in the 45 Commando unit. He was in Burma and Sri Lanka in 1945. I have attached a picture . I realize many of his fellow commandos may have passed now, but perhaps some recognizes him...perhaps in another photo a member may have.

Many Thanks
Alex Green

Forum Index » Profile for JWJSON » Messages posted by JWJSON
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger