commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Pete
Forum Index » Profile for Pete » Messages posted by Pete
A quick check shows the following information regarding the LCT you mention ( which you may already know):

Landing Craft Tank (Mark 5):
Laid down, date unknown, at New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N.J.
Launched, date unknown
Delivered and transferred to the United Kingdom, under the Lend-Lease program for Mediterranean Theater service, redesignated LCT-2428
Armor plating added in early 1944, redesignated LCT(A)-2428
During the invasion of Normandy LCT(A)-2428 was assigned as 'Leader' of the 105th LCT(A) Flotilla of Assault Group J1 Support Squadron, assigned to Juno Beach in support of the 7th Infantry of the 3rd Canadian Division at Courseulles
Struck from the Naval Register, 13 November 1944
Final Disposition, recored as breaking down on passage the evening of 5 June 1944, at some point thereafter she was taken in tow by the tug Jaunty but she capsized and was it appears fired upon by the Royal Navy until she sank -The Commanding Officer of HMS Jaunty at the time was William Sutton Lowrey who was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his actions during Operation Neptune.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Specifications:
Displacement 286 short tons
Length 114' 2" (ovl.)
Beam 32' 8"
Draft 3'
Speed 10 kts.
Range 700 nautical miles at 7 kts.
Complement 13
Cargo Capacity 150 short tons
Armament 1 single 20mm AA gun mount, 2 .50 cal. machine guns
Armor 2 1/2" wheelhouse, 2" gun shield
Propulsion 3 Grey Marine Diesels, 3 propellers, Shaft horsepower 675 per shaft
The website of Stan Hough, who is mentioned in a previous message has a diary type recording of events that took place involving Princess Astrid. There is considerable detail about Normandy, Dieppe and other areas where the ship saw action. Quite fascinating reading. A google search on the ships name shows several individuals war stories and one or two have some LCA numbers included. Also there is a archive/history contact on the following link

http://www.lstlandingcraftassoc.org/main.html

A link below to a site with information from the Royal Naval Museum Portsmouth. It has some info about RM Commando Operations post war.

http://www.seayourhistory.org.uk/content/view/464/620/1/1/
Just to update you a bit on this. I researched a bit on the seaman my dad mentions and have discovered that Leading Seaman Patrick Joseph Brady DSM was in fact in the Royal Australian Navy Volunteer Reserve. He received his DSM for his bravery and skill during the St Nazaire Raid. Sadly I have been informed his DSM came up for sale in September of last year but do not know anymore on this. However i have sent a letter to the Canberra Times which is the city in which he volunteered all those years ago reminding them of this guys heroics and my Dads story. Whether they print it I have no idea.
One footnote for Geoff - this could mean that he was not in fact a Newcastle United supporter after all. I'll let you know if I find out anything more.
Hi Karen and thanks for getting back to my private message to you. As a fairly new associate member myself can I say welcome to the CVA. I am glad to hear you have read the CVA history of No 9 Commando in which your late Grandpa served. Here is a link to the Combined Ops site relevant to No.9
http://www.combinedops.com/No%209%20Commando.htm
I do hope you find someone who may have details of your Grandpa but as time passes sadly it becomes more of a dificult task. I found myself in a similar situation with my late father. Sadly one member of the CVA who knew him, recently passed away. Have you looked through the gallery section of our site. I, and many others, have posted pictures of their Commando relatives onto the site. No.9 Commando sadly only has one picture in it - do you, or your Dad, have any of Tommy in his Commando days that could be posted. Also any that you may have of post war reunions or memorial services he may have attended. If you can add names to faces thats a bonus ! It would be great to see them. You mention the Fort William services. These still take place and many CVA members and others attend. Again there are pictures in the gallery showing November 2008 and other services. I do wish you well in your search. Finally can I ask you to have a look at the section on this site called " Join the CVA" . Something for you to consider.

Regards
Hi there Rick. Not sure if you have seen this link already but it tells one marines' personal experience of his posting to India and his stay at Chembur Royal Marine Transit Camp in Bombay 1945.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/03/a4046203.shtml
Hi Andy

Having seen yr posting of yr dads war service record on another message there is a link that I can see. This ship was posted in 1942 to Bombay as I said in a previous message. I see your Dad was posted to India in 1944. Now that there is an Indian link we just have to delve a bit deeper into the details. What actions was your Dad involved in in India - do you know any specifics - that may give a clue.
Geoff and Andy

I have emailed the owner of the site where I found the information regarding the posting of HMS Nimbus to Bombay as a minesweeper to see if he can assist with the gap between its posting in Jan 1942 to the 1944 date in the ships history site where it states it " served as a danlayer" or minesweeper. The internet has its uses.
I like a challenge Andy . The Pennant on the side of the ship J133 was the identifying mark. In WW2 "J" related to minesweepers. However many lists of RN ships did not show this one but I got their eventually. In addition to my 1st message the ship is shown being posted to Bombay in January 1942 to join the Royal Navy 174th Minesweeping Group ,East Indies Command, Eastern Fleet. However the trail goes cold there, at the moment, until 1944 when it is shown again on minesweeping duties but no location. If I find anything else I'll post it
Hey Andy I can identify your ship. This ship was built in 1929 in Middlesborough and originally belonged to the Vestfold Whale Catchers from Norway. It was hired by the Royal Navy in November 1941 for minesweeping duties. In 1942 after a refit it was renamed HMS Nimbus. She survived the war for many years after in a more peaceful role.
David Niven was renowned for saying virtually nothing about his wartime role. He was reportedly in "A" squadron of a phantom unit, or offically a GHQ Liaison Regiment unit. There is a little bit about the regiment on the link below :

http://www.thewarillustrated.info/211/now-it-can-be-told-phantom-patrols-ghq-liaison-regiment.asp

One of the few things David Niven is recorded as saying about the war is quoted below:

"I will, however, tell you just one thing about the war, my first story and my last. I was asked by some American friends to search out the grave of their son near Bastogne. I found it where they told me I would, but it was among 27,000 others, and I told myself that here, Niven, were 27,000 reasons why you should keep your mouth shut after the war."
Hi Diane and a happy new year to you. May I suggest 2 things you should try and do. Firstly seek out any old documents or memorabilia or photos that relate in any way to his war service. The RM Commando unit he was in would be a good start. There were several.
Secondly, and I would suggest you do this after you have tried to discover what unit your father was in and any other information you can find, is shown on this site posted By NIC in Forum under Looking for Information. It will assist you in applying for your grand papa's war service record. If you find any info or photos of your grand papa, place the details on a reply to this message. This is only a starter and someone may have more precise info for you but I wish you well in your research

Regards

Here is a link to an article written by the niece of one of the early members of 45 RM Commando. It is interesting, not only as it contains his brief life story (sadly he was killed during the Normandy landings), but also because it contains a history of 45 RM Commando.

As you scroll down there is also a scan of a Roll of Honour for 45 Commando.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.worldthroughthelens.com/d-day/roll.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.worldthroughthelens.com/d-day.php&usg=__v7cN-3y3gK6lzZ1uxLAnnvEFCEI=&h=591&w=419&sz=24&hl=en&start=15&um=1&tbnid=3mUZOxa-LSX9xM:&tbnh=135&tbnw=96&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dww2%2Bcommandos%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN
Happy New Year to one and all. Found this photo as I was uploading some others onto gallery. Unsure as to whether these guys are 2 Commando so have placed it on the forum first to see if anyone can help.
Hi jason..when you get back to Gods country (I'm from Scotland myself) scan and upload in a forum message the certificate, any photos of him in uniform, and any other relevant information - rank, service number, original unit, including the medals, and that will be a good starter. In the meantime have a good Xmas.

Forum Index » Profile for Pete » Messages posted by Pete
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger