commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Shaun
Forum Index » Profile for Shaun » Messages posted by Shaun
Cheers for all the replies. have now sourced a diagram of the LCP(S). Does anyone know of any surviving LCP(S)? Would love to have a look around one and get the feel of what it would have been like to have been on one.
Was reading the cliff assault pamphlet and came across this... Is there any evidence this was used?

Combined Operations Pamphlet No. 24
Cliff Assaults
Type - Balloon

How Employed - Naval kite balloons are flown off shore at a suitable operational height (500) feet the leader is attached to the cable by a parachute harness at a height slightly greater than the height of the cliff. One to three balloons are used to give the nessercary lift, depending on wind force. The balloons are flown ashore attached to a winch in a boat or amphibious vehicle. Leader drops off onto cliff top, balloon is then used to lift remainder.

Factors (For) - (a) Silent. (b) First man quickly up. (c) virtually no ceiling.

Factors (Against) - (a) Balloon is vunerable to small arms fire. (b) Can easily be picked up by enemy radar. (c) Difficult to handle. (d) Can only operate with onshore wind.
Hi Danny,

Thats fantastic! I take it then they were used on Operations with the Commando's and saw action? Just need to find a photo of one now!

many thanks. This really is helping me put together the Commando side of the chain of evacuation.
Hi all,

In various orders that i have read regarding the chain of medical evacuation of casulties from aa beachead, etc. It mentions the use of Landing Craft as a method of evacuation. With this in mind was there any known layout of for medical casulities aboard landing craft (Very much like an RAF Air Ambulance). I have contacted the RN Museum and they are not aware of any. Just wondered if anyone on here knew different.

Hi Nick,

Cheers for the reply. I have covered the Neil Robertson Stretcher, its a cracking bit of kit!

I was thinking the Carrier was a back pack style item? Like the Commando Bergan or Everest carrier...

But will fill you all in if i manage to find out what this item was.
It has been suggested that this carrier was re-named the Everest carrier as seen in WW2 photos etc. Would this be an option?
Lovely thank you Pete.
As some of you will know i am currently writing a book about the RAMC attached to the Commando's. Whilst reading through a set of orders. Its mentions at the very bottom of this document (excuse typing as it is badly printed).

Greeno, Grenco or Groono Carrier to be carried at the Troop Commanders Disgression.... What is one? I am thinking some for of stretcher maybe?

I only ask as I was wondering if it may be a Commando specific item?

On another subject....

I understand that the Commandos that went on Op. Frankton wore a camoflarged hooded smock... Does anyone have a photo of said item? Would be interested to see how it was fabricated and painted.

Thanks.

Also the wadders would be of itnerest also....
Hi,

Thats a great help. I volunteer at the AMS museum and reenactment 16PFA which there is alot of info of the Airborne medics so therefore i am gonna try and document, as best as i can, the Commandos too. Of course any info used i will contact the people involved to get approval to use their material.

I have a lot of info. Some of which has not seen the light of day! It is a case of trying to sort out the info. Into a useful book. I was actually looking at asking a yourself and Nic to look over the final draft, once done.
I am writing a book on the subject of RAMC attached to the Commandos. I can provide you a detailed list of what was carried by a member of 3 commando if it helps.
Hi all i have a copy of the Middle East Commandos book for sale. I have read it and used it for my research for a book i am writing. And would like to sell it on to someone else.
Would i be right in assuming that a Commando trained RAMC soldier would be wearing a Green, RAMC badge NO cherry backing?
Hi all,

I am after any photos of RAMC Commandos either in training or on operations. As i would like to compare equipment that they are carrying, etc. Ihave found a few but doesnt hurt asking for more.

Cheers guys.
Many thanks.

Forum Index » Profile for Shaun » Messages posted by Shaun
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger