commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Steve R
Forum Index » Profile for Steve R » Messages posted by Steve R
Can anyone help identify a Captain Jenkins please?

Jenkins commanded a detachment of commandos in the Southern Shan States in December 1941-January 1942. He is mentioned in the private papers of Lt.Col. I.C.G. Scott who at the time was a Column Commander in the mobile detachment F.F.4, Burma Frontier Force. He describes coming under command of Jenkins in December 1941. Jenkins later was sent to the Toungoo front where Scott believes he was subsequently killed.

I'm not at all sure which "Commando" Jenkins was part of. At the time of his meeting with Scott the area was the responsibility of the 13th Indian Infantry Brigade. In the war diary of the brigade is a narrative account of this period which lists a "13th Indian Infantry Brigade Commando" in the order of battle. The account goes on to describe how this unit was formed:

"A Commando Pl under a British Officer was formed by making up a section from each Bn's reinforcements and attached to Bde HQs. A similar Pl was formed in each Bn. For special missions the pls from Bns were attd to the pl in Bde HQ and a Commando Coy formed."

I have found a Captain Jenkins in the Commonwealth War Graves list. This is Captain Charles George Jenkins, an officer of the 1st Punjab Regiment and was killed 18th April 1942. Given the above description of how the "Commando" in 13th Brigade was formed and that the 3rd Battlion, 1st Punjab Regiment was part of the brigade there is a good chance that this is the Captain Jenkins mentioned by Scott.

Does anyone have any further information on Jenkins or the 13th Indian Brigade Commando and their relationship, if any, with the Special Service Detachments or other Commandos?

Kind regards

Steve
alanlw wrote:Many thanks again Steve. I did manage to find the Burma Rifle's file somewhere on-line.

Is there an exact date for the new quote? Is it another TNA document, if so could you supply the reference please?

Alan

Alan

Sadly no date as the account was written from memory in India sometime after the withdrawal from Burma. The reference is placed sometime between January and March 1942. The TNA document is WO 203/5697

Steve
alanlw wrote:
Steve R wrote:I came across some references to Lt.Col Brocklehurst whilst transcribing the War Diary of the 14th Burma Rifles, WO 172/986.

It seems Brocklehurst and 2 SSD were in Taunggyi in April 1942 when the time came for British troops to evacuate the town, handing over responsibility to the Chinese. A Rear Party was formed under Brocklehurst, consisting of 2 SSD, 14th Burma Rifles and the Southern Shan States Battalion, Burma Frontier Force, Brocklehurst assuming command on 17th April 1942 (approximately). At 2000 hrs on 20th April, Brocklehurst ordered the evacuation of Taunggyi. This party stuck together as they withdrew until 30th April when it split into four parties, one of which was Brocklehurst with two other British officers and 20 British Other Ranks.

I can PM an extract from the diary or you will find the full transcript at my web site at www.rothwell.force9.co.uk/burmaweb. The pdf is at http://www.rothwell.force9.co.uk/burmaweb/images/13th%20Burma%20Rifles%20WO%20172%20986%20-%20transcript.pdf

Just putting the finishing touches to the transcript and it will be up 19th or 20th September 2014.

Very many thanks for that, Steve! I knew he must appear in other places. It's great to have some exact dates for the evacuation of TGI.

At the end you say "From late 1941, C.O. of 2nd Special Service Detachment." Can you tell me where you found that statement as I have seen nothing quite so exact before. I don't know yet when he arrived in Burma although I know he was there by Xmas for a bombing raid on Rangoon. From what I read somewhere I thought SSD2 was set up later as a response to the Japanese invasion, but again, no exact date was given.

If you come across anything on Brock or SSD2 else please do let me know.

Alan

Alan - I'm so sorry it seems I never received the notification of your response to this thread.

The file I intended to share is available at http://www.rothwell.force9.co.uk/burmaweb/WO_172_986.htm.

I've just found another reference to Brocklehurst and his Commando in a file containing accounts of the actions of F.F.1, Burma Frontier Force. In a narrative by Captain John Kennedy of the actions of the Mounted Infantry Column of F.F.1 he describes the time on the Thai frontier from the very end of December 41 or first days of January 42 until mid-March 42. I quote:

"M.I. & Turcol were ordered not to cross the frontier until the Commando under Colonel Brocklehurst was ready to cooperate. The Commando, for whom all our transport was taken to bring up explosives, never were ready. However a force Turcol with some M.I. eventually raided a Thai outpost of about 200 strong inflicting 30 dead including 1 officer in casualties to the enemy, & suffering 1 wounded. This raid was led by Captain Turner of Turcol."

I'm hoping you see this reply and that I have correctly set my notifcations this time.

Kind regards

Steve
I came across some references to Lt.Col Brocklehurst whilst transcribing the War Diary of the 14th Burma Rifles, WO 172/986.

It seems Brocklehurst and 2 SSD were in Taunggyi in April 1942 when the time came for British troops to evacuate the town, handing over responsibility to the Chinese. A Rear Party was formed under Brocklehurst, consisting of 2 SSD, 14th Burma Rifles and the Southern Shan States Battalion, Burma Frontier Force, Brocklehurst assuming command on 17th April 1942 (approximately). At 2000 hrs on 20th April, Brocklehurst ordered the evacuation of Taunggyi. This party stuck together as they withdrew until 30th April when it split into four parties, one of which was Brocklehurst with two other British officers and 20 British Other Ranks.

I can PM an extract from the diary or you will find the full transcript at my web site at www.rothwell.force9.co.uk/burmaweb. The pdf is at http://www.rothwell.force9.co.uk/burmaweb/images/13th%20Burma%20Rifles%20WO%20172%20986%20-%20transcript.pdf

Just putting the finishing touches to the transcript and it will be up 19th or 20th September 2014.

Forum Index » Profile for Steve R » Messages posted by Steve R
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger