commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: sammyb
Forum Index » Profile for sammyb » Messages posted by sammyb
Hello Michelle - I have a number of photos relating to my great grandfather's brother who was 8 commando (part of Layforce) although I beleive their involvement with Crete was not great (i may be wrong) - I don't think he was involved with Crete.

These photos are of early training in England and in Arran and some are taken aboard the H.M.S. Glengyle and there are photos from Egypt.

PM me if interested.

Have you posted a similar message on "special forces roll of honour" forum? I think you would get a good response.

Cheers,
Sam
Alan - there are quite a few photos on specialforcesroh.com

Not a photo of the whole group though - but a few smaller group photos

Sam
Hi Alan,

I've had an interest in this raid for a while and its hard to get a true picture of what happened. I've read a few accounts in various books but there is a lack of consistency. Its certainly not 100% clear who was actually on the raid. I don't think anyone knows.

I recently came upon this...

http://www.scotsguards.info/Jurnel_Archive/2005/2005.pdf

...which contains a tribute to Danny Hill who was on the raid and his account gives some different info. eg suggests Stan Bolland was in McGonigals stick. It also gives a comprehensive list of the men but some are missing eg Calhoun (Colquhoun?). I think this is understandable given the passage of time.

Interestingly the list contains a Hill, Carrington and Robertson in addition to Bolland. I wonder if these are the same Hill, Carrington, Robertson in the 8 commando photos I have added to the photo gallery on this website. I am confident it is the same Bolland.

Sam
Hi Alan,

This would corroborate the text from David Kershaw in the book "The Originals" by Gordon Stevens (page 70)
"After a couple of days and nights, we came to the Makele and Masous track, that cut right across our front, and we saw four or five bodies, which was going completely away from the direction that we were going. I got the glasses on them - I had binoculars with me - and it seemed that they were Sergeant Yates with Tranfield, Boland, Calhoun, and maybe a couple more. So we whistled and I got my .45 out and fired a few rounds but they took no notice. So we carried on."

I'm not sure what he meant by "bodies".

According to Special forces in the Desert War (National Archives publication) Stirling and Tait agreed to spilt off from the rest of the stick.

Sam
Bill - you are probably right. He is only mentioned in the early stages of the book - setting the scene for the formation of 11 commando.

The references are on pages 10 and 13.

Its actually a good book - I enjoyed reading it - good account of Operation Flipper and why it was doomed to failure from the outset despite the immense bravery of the men involved.

Page 10
"11 (Scottish) Commando was raised at Galashiels in the Border region, where, in early 1940, Lieutenant Colonel Dick Pedder, 35, an irascible martinet of the Highland Light Infantry, and Major Bruce Ramsey, of the Cameron Highlanders, set up their HQ in the Douglas Hotel"

Page 13
"The interviewing Officer, Major Bruce Ramsey, was of first world war vintage, and even if he had not received a wire, and did not yet know that Admiral of the Fleet Sir Roger Keyes had just become his chief, he was certainly aware that he was interviewing a national hero's eldest son."

I hope this helps!
Sam
Hello - you may know this already but a Major Bruce Ramsay of the Camerons gets a couple of mentions in the book Get Rommel by Michael Asher about the 11 commando operation flipper.

Nothing major - it just says he interviewed Keyes for his posting to the commando. Do you want me to copy out the bits of text and post on here?

Cheers,
Sam

Thanks Andy - thats great
Sam
Hello Andy - thanks for the offer of help. I would like it very much if you could make contact on my behalf.

Sam
Hello - I have been trying to interpret the X list from my relatives service record.

I have used the information that is on this forum to understand the relevance of the Xi, Xii nomenclature but I'm still not fully clear on all the details on the form.

The are a lot of codes in there to do with promotions which I don't fully understand but I'm most interested in the date at which he left Middle East Commando.

Is there anyone who can provide guidance on this?

Thanks,
Sam
Yes thats right Nick he was MIA on those raids. I think he may have been in the plane with David Stirling. Apparently commemorated on the El Alamein memorial. There are some good photos I have provided on the Gallery section of this site of Stanley in the UK and North Africa during his time in 8 commando.

He gets a mention in the book "The Orginals" by Gordon Stevens in a recollection by Dave Kershaw.
John - I have responded to you on your post on the other forum
Best wishes,
Sam
Thanks Pete - I'll do that.
Hello all,

I was flicking through a book and saw a reference to No 6 commando being billetted in Scarborough during the war.

Is this true? I would be very interested if anyone had anymore information or even photos.

Thanks,
Sam
specialforcesroh.com has 10 men from 51 cdo listed and 5 photos in the gallery. Have you seen those?
just a thought - have you got the book by Charles Messenger?

Forum Index » Profile for sammyb » Messages posted by sammyb
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger