commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: ianjardine
Forum Index » Profile for ianjardine » Messages posted by ianjardine
Nick

Good morning Sir

Thank you so much for this information, it was so good of you and Graham to take the trouble to source and send me this file. Amongst my dads keepsakes we found a small notebook containing names and addresses of colleagues and POWs he was obviously friends with back in the day. Two of them are on the list you sent me.

Would be great to trace the families to see if they can fill in the huge gaps in my knowledge. Dad never discussed this period of his life.

I'll send a pm to Graham to thank him.

Ian
Hi everyone

Starting the research again into my father, Royal Marine John Jardine CH/X 100196. He was enlisted May 1940, was captured on Crete 1st June 1941 and served 4 years as POW (POW 6829).

I have discovered this photograph of a group which includes my father which I thought I would share. Other family members may find their dads etc on it. Anyway, I believe it may be an end-of-training course photograph from Chatham Barracks but, I would like this confirmed.

Is there a collection of these photographs somewhere? Does a course number exist?

Love to hear from anyone that can help.

Thank you

Ian

ps - Moderators....I apologise if this is in wrong forum. To get a wider audience I will gratefully accept any advice you have.
Further to my opening post - I've now copied the names and addresses from dads notebook (former colleagues and POWs) into a word document.

Can I attach a word document on this forum?
My dad, on the right of the image, was Royal Marine John Jardine CH/X 100196 died back in September 2000. Now, we new some details about his military service during WW2 but, like many elderly ex serviceman, he would not 'open up' and discuss it with me. At one time I thought he would as I am ex RAF Aircrew, flew in the Gulf 1991, and thought this may help him discuss things, but it didn't!

Last week I came across a small metal tin in the loft containing various military memorabilia; medals, Certificate of Service, a notebook containing names and addresses of colleagues and pictures at a POW Camp. You can imagine I'm sure how this has focussed my attention once again on learning about this period of his life.

From this past week what I know so far is;

- Enlisted in Royal Marines 28th May 1940 at Chatham.

- Service No. CH/X 100196

- Was assigned to M.N.B.D.O

- Served on Crete May 1941.

- Captured at Sphakia, Crete on 31st May 1941.

- Detained we believe at Stalag 18A - this information from a New Zealand Veteran who has contacted us.

- POW No. 6829

- May have moved to Stalag 18C in 1945 after the 'Long March'

- After the war retired from the Royal Marines December 1945.

I'm just starting out on what I'm sure will be a long road of discovery. But would appreciate any advice and help?..maybe someone here will know him?

Ian

Forum Index » Profile for ianjardine » Messages posted by ianjardine
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger