commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: micky
Forum Index » Profile for micky » Messages posted by micky
Due to recent discovery, its confirmed that Barton's objective was General Von Vietinghoff!!!

Barton himself told all to Major Davies, S.O.E. BLO in modena area, and Davies believe it was a cover story!!!
Pete wrote:Hi Ron

My father is pictured here with one version of the Thompson sub machine gun issued to some of No.2 Commando and others;

Commandos also used the Sten Gun. I have a report from Lt. B. J. Barton DSO MC of No.2 stating how effective use of the Sten gun with silencer was for one of his covert operations on Brac in which the German Commandant of the island was killed. His words were " This operation could have been done with any automatic weapon, but is doubtful if we could have made a succesful retreat if we hadn't used a silent Sten"

also check this link on the Tommy gun models used:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_submachine_gun

Pete, do you have a pic of Lt. Barton? I'm interested in his activities with SOE in my area (north italy) acting as "killer" of high rank officers! Thanks

Reply from Pete - No photo. I have sent you a pm
Thank you luke!! I'll finish to translate the Operation Cisco Red Report soon as possible.

As for many other veterans, they doesn't like to talk about the war: Your grandfhater was the leader of the Mission Cisco/Red, when he was ordered to attempt to capture or kill the general "X" the leader of the mission became another great commando, the captain Neal Oughtred who was wounded in the Saint Nazaire raid.

I have A LOT of question for your grandfather, but only two, for now:

1) who was the general X?

2) He remember the name of the american airman who returned to Gova?

Thank in advance
Thank you Pete, i think it was the same person. In some report Barton has been called John instead of James, but i think that john was a nickname.

I have a complete copy of the operation CISCO/RED, but is in itaian and i need to translate it. The purpose of the operation was to kill a german general, mentioned in the report as "general X", someone told me that it was the 16th SS division commander.
Pete wrote:Hi there and welcome to the CVA. I have seen reference in the London Gazettes of 20/7/44 to the man you mention " The Distinguished Service Order. Lieutenant (temporary Captain) Bernard James Barton, M.C. (134120), Reconnaissance Regiment, Royal Armoured Corps (attd. Special Service Troops) (Hastings).
I have a copy of the No.2 Commando War Diary and a Lt Barton is mentioned there. I also have 2 copies of reports by a Lt Barton of No.2 Cdo. regarding operations in Brac. One at Pucisca against the German garrison and the other against the German Commandant of Brac. One of these actions resulted in him moving from No2. I believe. Would this be the same man you are referring to?

Regards

Thank you Pete, i don't know: "my" Barton did special operation like these in north itally, in attempt to kill a SS high officer, not for the 2 Commando, but for the nr. 1 Special Force, in january 1945.
Hello, i'm new to this forum. I need informations about Captain (later Major) Bernard James Barton, DSO, MC, 134120, 2 commando.

As from my infos, Barton after some time in the 2 Commando was later detached with the SOE for a special mission in north italy called "CISCO RED".

Anyone can tell me if Maj. Barton is still alive, or know informations about the CISCO mission? Thank in advance

Forum Index » Profile for micky » Messages posted by micky
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger