commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: james
Forum Index » Profile for james » Messages posted by james
To all my Boot neck friends.

First photo on Despatch riders gallery, 5 lads posing in front of German Pendant. Boot neck 2nd from left I believe to be PO-X100692 Hutchings Fred of Signals & Don R's section. (did he have any rank ?) The other photo I sent from my Sister, with help from Peter, Administrator & is on 46 Commando gallery.
I presume he would have been involved in most of the Battles from June 7th, to crossing the Rhine. He was snipped on the bridge of the nose. When a Marine is not doing his regular job, does he fill in as infantry ?
Would anyone be able to tell me what his experience & involvement would have been on the way to Germany.

Please have a look at the 2 photos & let me have your opinion wether they are the same man ?

Gratefully yours James 4178.
All the very best for the New Year (2015.

G'day to all.

Sorry for being a bit tardy in replying to 'Nicks' last message. I have been in hospital for 4 days, having lovely nurses making a fuss over me.
Fred Hutchings was born in Sheffield, 1922.
My sister phoned me this afternoon. She said she has 2 photos of Fred in uniform, One also has 2 of his mates in it, when she sends them to me I will then send them on to you. She also asked if they had been in Africa as, Fred once told her that he was in Africa.
The reason he was in Portsmouth when called up, as opposed to Sheffield; was because he was a 'Taylor' for Fleming's & Co. the Naval Outfitters. So he signed on at Eastney Barracks.

You asked where I lived in West OZ, about 70 miles south of Perth in a City named Mandurah. It was once a small fishing village but, is now bursting at the seams with about 70,000 population.

Yours sincerely ....... 4178 James.

[i][color=black] [/colour]
G'day Nick & everyone.
Many thanks for your express return reply. I didn't anything travelled fast in the UK these days, apart from the "Buk Sheesh" community.

I haven't studded 46 Commando history very much. So, I am learning too.
A couple of items on this note my sister sent are that he enlisted in R.M's in 1940. What is a Ships book No. 36054 ?
Is it a transportation authority ? I don't understand why so many war time units never kept war diaries. I will ask my sister if she has any of Fred's' war time photos.

Thank you once again Nick.

Yours sincerely ...... James..... (West OZ)
Good evening Ladies & gentlemen.

My name is James. I would with your generous help, like to get some information on my Late brother in law, for my 89 year old sister. Her husbands name is Fred Hutchings. At present this is all the info I have on him.

No, PO-X100629 Cpl, 46 Commando. Ships book No, 36054. ( I don't know what that means.) He was borne in Sheffield. We don't know what company he was assigned to.

Did his training in the Western Highlands. Once told me he spent some time in the New Forest before 'D day'. Up until 'D day' they spent time on a stormy I of W. Said he spent the early hours of 6th June. on "Sword" beach trying not to crap his pants & digging a trench back home. Claimed that flying bullets, shells & smell of cordite almost made him sick. Then attacked a place named San Mer ...something, & then to Caen where everything was booby trapped including dead bodies , door steps & toilets. Then onto Belgium & across the Rhine. At some time he was a dispatch rider until he was clipped on the cheek by a sniper. He was in the fighting for the Bocage region, & told me of a Tiger Tank that was shelling them until a RAF Typhoon blew it to pieces.

I have looked all through the picture galleries to avail, as I would not know what he looked like at 18 or 19 years. I didn't meet him until about 1952 when he married my sister. He passed away in June 1979. from a smokers disease, Cancer of the mouth. Fred was a great brother to me.

I hope I haven't made this over long & boring, thank you for your patience.

Sincerely, .... James. (West OZ)

Forum Index » Profile for james » Messages posted by james
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger