commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Sam North
Forum Index » Profile for Sam North » Messages posted by Sam North
thanks for the insight into this, it has been a use full read.
I will go and do just that in the upcoming weeks.
I have just started my 3rd year at university and am doing a photographic project on my Granddad and his time in the commandos during WW2.
I shall upload the transcripts of what I find for you all to enjoy as I have done with these...
sorry, I should clarify.
I have seen the image in the photo archives and have downloaded a copy of that image but it would be nice to have a copy of the image in the context of the news paper clipping.
If I could have a scan of the newspaper clipping that would be great.
I believe my Grandfather is in this image but the link is now corrupt, is it possible to re-upload it? or if at all possible send me a copy of the photograph?
Many thanks,
Sam.
This is a fantastic find, I can follow what my grandfathers movements where on those days.
Thank you very much for posting this, how did you come by this?
Sam.
Hi everyone,
I have just found out some more information on my grandfather. During the war he was named 'Titch' we think because he joined up under age and was one of the youngest in the troop. I wondered if anyone had heard of anyone being named Titch in conversation with any veterans or relatives?
Hi Stéphane,
I have seen it, there are two more images of my grandad in the gallery but I haven't been as to update a home on names as of yet. When I get home I will post them on here.
Many people seem to have served in 3 commando 4 troop, there where men that my grandad could not remember according to my Grandmother.
Thank you ever so much for all of the kind help, it is truly fascinating subject and heart warming getting to know my grandfather again.
Sam.
bump
Thanks for all the help, it is the same friend that my grandad spoke dearly of to my father occasionally.
This whole process is fascinating, the facts I have dug up about my grandfather and what his time in the army was like. Hoping to try and find a veteran of Army Commandos to talk to about serving in the Second World War and serving as a commando.
Wow, that name is what my father thinks relates to the name Robins.
He was known as ragged Robin if that may help with your contact with the family?
The dates you have suggested match that of when/where my father said he has died, he was shot and killed by an MG42 stood not far from my grandfather apparently.
Would it be possible to see a copy of this picture you mentioned?
Regards Sam.
That is fantastic help, thanks. I was wondering if anyone knew of my granddad or know anyone that did/does?
Is there any place I can go to find out troop deployments for my granddads unit?
Thanks, Graham.
Hi everyone,
I am looking to find some more information on my granddad (I have found two images in the gallery that I can clearly identify him in) He was in No3 Commando, 4 Troop and served in Italy, Normandy, Sicily, North Africa, France and Germany. He missed D-Day by two days because he was in a military hospital as soon as he found out the landings took place he broke out of the hospital to join his comrades. I have got one name he was said about (The only one) a guy he referred to as 'Ragged Robin'.
I am looking for some information on my grandfather because I am interested to know more.
I am also looking for anyone that may have served in the same troop as him or took part in similar campaigns for to photograph as part of a personal photographic project (part of a photo-therapy process) so if anyone knows of any reunions or any veterans that maybe would like to talk to me for a while (Il buy the beer or the tea and cake) then it would be very interesting to find out dome more information and see if I can get some of the stories documented before its too late to do so at all.

Forum Index » Profile for Sam North » Messages posted by Sam North
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger