commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Karon
Forum Index » Profile for Karon » Messages posted by Karon
Nic

Very kind of you to reply, that certainly helps make more sense of the information. If you don't mind I may take you up on your offer to interpret the records when I have them to hand.

Thanks

karon
markH, thanks for your message. As you may have seen from my recent replies I have had to put my detective work on hold for the moment - which is frustrating.

Very much appreciate your interest and support !
How great to hear from you ! I have since heard from another forum member whose relative was listed and unfortunately had to reply to her similarly - since moving house I have had to place most of our non-essential belongings into storage until we can complete works on our present house, unfortunately these include the memorabilia from dad such as the map and photos. If there was a way to retrieve them without emptying out a shipping container I would, but I am sorry that I cant access them more readily.

Rest assured that when I can I will most certainly get them scanned and posted, I could also send copies should you require.

Have you managed to find out much about your grandad's service ? I would be interested what you find out.

Best regards

Karon
I have a silk map of Malaya which belonged to my dad who was in 42 Commando. There are signatures around the edges of the map and I thought I would share these names with you should anybody be interested in tracking down their relatives. The names are rather faded but I think they are:-

WH Grant-Hanlon (my dad)
WH Elliot , Cromwell Rd, Sprowston, Norwich
JAG Hopwood, Eastwick Cottages, Burnham on Crouch
Sargeant Eadle, Hoxton Road, Scarborough
WJ Wilkins, Aston, Birmingham
JC Haynes, Avondale Rd, Eastbourne
J Marran, Wakefield Yorkshire
J Allway, Horsley, Gloucs
J Holly or Holby, Bromley
Sargeant Major Buzzard, Windsor
Captain VC Soddrington, Pennant
Luiet VP Wilson, Oxford
Brigadier Mansfield, Bermondsey

Hope this can be of use. :D
I came across your site whilst trying to do some research about my late father's war service with 42 Commando. (He joined the Royal Marines at the outset of WWII).

I have received his service records from Navy Command at Whale Island, and whilst they contain dates, the 'name of division or ship' column contains a list of initials which I am having trouble deciphering. They kindly included an 'abbreviation guide' but I can't reconcile the strings of letters with the guide. Example: HBLRH Deal Cas.Dets and HBLRMMNBDOI etc

I admit that I was disappointed that there was no information about where he went or what he did but accept that these 'bare bones' records may not include much other than dates of service.

I would be very grateful for any help or advice you could give, or point me in the right direction to do the detective work. I am, unfortunately, not in a position to hire a researcher and such books as I have found give the bare details of the Commando Units' activities unless you know the company divisions.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Forum Index » Profile for Karon » Messages posted by Karon
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger