commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: E Milner
Forum Index » Profile for E Milner » Messages posted by E Milner
This is, I think, a better quality image of 2cdo 4 troop taken August 1941 at Lockerbie School
Hello Janet,
Thanks for your private message.
I'm sorry that I didn't know that Bob had passed away, he has done so much keep fond memories of his comrades alive.
As for my father, Ernie Milner, he had the proudest recollections of his wartime life with No.2 Commando, I rather think that nothing much came to match it in civvy street. He originally enlisted with 5 Kings (Liverpool) regiment on 17/1/1940 and his army number was 3775340. Ernie would, in later life, gloss over the grimmer experiences more often choosing to describe the lighter side; during a training show for the top brass, for example, he remembered the embarrassment of his backpack filling with water whilst crossing a water-filled quarry when the rope which supported him (and others) was too slack! His strength as a back-stroke swimmer then coming very much in handy! Apart from the losses of comrades and friends in action, one of his saddest memories was the cruelties inflicted on one another by partisan groups in Vis, Yugoslavia and his unit having to "about face" whilst summary executions took place in their presence. Ernie was wounded twice, once slightly from grenade shrapnell and then, more seriously from a single gun-shot wound in the shoulder. The latter put him out of action for a while and it occured, I think, in August 1944. I have his AB64 (Service and Pay Book), which doesn't unfortunately inform very much, but it does record his medical downgrade for 6 months, following, I assume, his GSW; and the award of 28 days leave and dispatch to a special reception centre on repatriation in October 1945. What is lacking in the official content of his AB64 is partly compensated for with hand-written notes: compass and side-arm serial numbers for example and useful phrases in Serbo Croat such as "do not shoot, I am English". I have attached a few more photos; they will I fear not be of much used for the archivist, but they might jog a memory somewhere. One, showing Ernie and "Jack" is annotated with reference to "the flies", I expect this is in North Africa. I have others, single subjects only, but one is annotated: 20/4/45, in Naples.
Full marks for all that Bob has done, and you continue to do, for the CVA.
Regards,
Ernie Milner (jnr)

In the caption to the No. 2 Commando photo provided by Bob Bishop, he notes that nothing more was known of Sgt Ernie Milner after Sept 1942. He certainly remained in No. 2 Commando to the end of hostilities and served in Yogoslavia, Sicily and Italy. Perhaps he moved troop? I've attached a few photos, Ernie Milner is in each, any ideas about the others?

Forum Index » Profile for E Milner » Messages posted by E Milner
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger