commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: LucyMB
Forum Index » Profile for LucyMB » Messages posted by LucyMB
Hi Nick

Thanks for your response.. at least I think - as I must say it really wasn?t the response I was hoping to see and comes across very patronising.

To clarify - 1 & 5 Cdo will of course be included - I don?t think I said anywhere that they wouldn?t be. However, due to my family history and the material I have, the narrative will focus more on 44 and 42.

It?s a shame you have chosen to focus rather heavily (and negatively I might say) on one word in my post which was written rather casually (this being an internet forum and not a proposal to my publisher etc), rather than anything else but, there we go.

If you would like any further information on the project or can help with my request, then please feel free to send me a message and I will be happy to discuss further.

Lucy
Hi all,

Many moons ago I posted here looking to connect with descendants of the men who fought at Kangaw in 1945. I am fortunate to say I am now working full time as a military historian and one of my projects (which for too long has been on the back burner) is writing a book which looks in depth at the actions of 3 Cdo Bde in the Arakan region of Burma in 1944/45. The book will focus in particular on 42RM and 44RM (my Grandfather being the late Ted Syms of 44Cdo) and I am keen to include as many personal stories and testimony as possible.

I am unsure if there are any surviving veterans of 42/44 from that period. The last I knew was Ron Wilson (44Cdo) who sadly passed away in 2021 - if anyone knows differently please do let me know,

It is my aim for this book to be the definitive story of the Commando's in the Far East, and I feel strongly that it is necessary to try to reach as many descendants as possible to collate stories/recollections. I have been fortunate enough to speak to many relatives already and have a reasonable list of several more folks to contact, but would be grateful for anyone with further info to contact me.

All the best,
Lucy

https://lucybetteridgedyson.com

Good afternoon all,

In 2005 my Grandad, Ted Syms (Captain of A Troop 44 RM), led a pilgrimage back to Burma for the 60th anniversary of the Battle of Kangaw. With the 75th anniversary coming up next year, I am working on a project to tell the story of the 3 Commando Brigade's operations in Burma along with revisiting the impact the pilgrimage had on those who attended. My Grandad is no longer with us, and indeed the last of his friends from A troop that I knew passed away in January of this year. I would be extremely grateful if there is anyone out there who could assist me in my research for personal accounts or indeed if there are any veterans out there who would be willing to speak to me.

I am intent on ensuring that the 75th anniversary is not over looked so if you have any information or stories you would like to share, please do get in touch.

There is a small piece on the pilgrimage itself on the Burma Star site:

https://www.burmastar.org.uk/stories/burma-and-the-battle-of-kangaw/

Please either drop me a line here or via my website: www.ohwhataladylikewar.com

All the best,
Lucy

Forum Index » Profile for LucyMB » Messages posted by LucyMB
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger