commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: John1951
Forum Index » Profile for John1951 » Messages posted by John1951
Bill

I'm going over to pay respects at the grave of my Uncle Ted (Cpl Edward Evans - 47 Commando) in BOZ. He was killed during the landing at Westkapelle on 2 Nov 1944.

I fly into Schipol from London City on 31 Oct then overnight in Middelburg before spending 1 Nov in Westkapelle. Then I go back to BOZ and on 2 Nov will visit the cemetary on behalf of the Evans family past and present.

If it all works out I'll be in Flushing late afternoon on 2 Nov and am staying there for two nights at the Hotel Bed by the Sea on Spuistraat.

Regards, John.
Thanks again Bill

using booking.com I've been able to re-schedule things around 1 Nov. It actually worked out better.

The revised itinerary puts me in Middelburg overnight (my train arrives just after the last 53 bus leaves) 31 Oct and off to Westkapelle 1 Nov for the day. Then it's back to BOZ for another overnight stop before visiting the cemetery 2 Nov and going on to Flushing.

Regards, John.
Many thanks Bill.

I just need to slightly revise the hotel bookings but I'll be there.

Regards, John.

Check out - http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/4225.page - it gives more of the story.

I've now booked the flights with hotels for BOZ, Westkapelle and Flushing. I'll be arriving Flushing 2 Nov for two nights.
I'm just wondered if there are any plans for ceremonies at Westkapelle or the cemetary outside BOZ?

I'm going to fly out over 31 October to 4 November to visit the grave of my Uncle Cpl Edward (Ted) James Evans at BOZ and then visit Westkapelle. I see that there's a bus service from Westkapelle to Flushing so I was also planning to be there for the 3 November commemorations.

Thanks again Pete

I just viewed your excellent contributions to YouTube. By coincidence we chose Moonlight Serenade to close Mum's funeral ceremony on 1 March last year. I also found the MovieTone footage of Operation Infatuate - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doq8s68Xoo8
Many thanks Pete

it was actually finding Jack Bakker's photo that started this all off and I am extremely grateful to both of you for that.

Although very few of Ted's immediate family are still alive, the trip has allowed one of my cousins to fill in a few gaps on an already very detailed Evans' family website. Hopefully, next year I'll also be able to get to Westkapelle.
My pleasure Eileen and I'll look forward to updates on your planned trip. I would like to lay a wreath at the memorial next year of behalf of the Evans family past and present. The plan would also include a visit to Westkapelle where Ted lost his life.

Ted is top row, second from left in this photo -

I have just made a very long overdue trip to visit the grave of an uncle who I never got the chance to meet. 112376 Cpl Edward (Ted) James Evans was killed on 2 November 1944 during the initial assault on Westkapelle. He was one my late father's younger brothers, aged just a bit over 19 at the time of his death.

As far as I know this was only the second time any member of the family has been able to make the trip.

2014 will be the 70th anniversary of both his passing and Operation Infatuate so I intend a return trip next year.

I am attaching photographs from the cemetery.

Forum Index » Profile for John1951 » Messages posted by John1951
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger